Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

help identify this mystery cat  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• so i have a bad habit of randomly searching local classifieds for catamarans that i don't need (my SolCat keeps me busy enough) and i came across this sweet looking 18 ft rig. I was wondering if anyone knows what it is. Its got some stealthy looking angles to it... only $400! They claim its a hobie but i dont think so...

http://img.bonnint.net/c/1974/197455/19745580.jpg?filter=ksl/gallery1

or here is a direct link to the ad...
    http://www.ksl.com/index.…=&lpid=&search=catamaran

--
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Venora"
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Bumblebee"
    60's 14' Sailstar Tallstar sloop "Arandora"

Heber City, UT
    --
  • looks like a 1970something muscle car...super bee with the fin! it's got style points for sure.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Huh! With that fiberglass forward beam, it looks like it draws at least some of its heritage from the P-Cat or the Catfish. But it looks like it has outward canted hulls. I thought that was more recent innovation. Pretty darned cool!

Says it's got all the bits and pieces. I'm curious what kind of rig it comes with. But I agree. If it's a Hobie, it's some prototype. Never seen the like.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • I have the same problem which i why I have 3 Prindle 16s and Hobie 17 in my Back Yard.

I like this one it's kinda sexy. Doe sit have all it's parts?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I am in South Florida and the boat appears to be in Utah. If the boat was here I would buy it. I like the looks.
  • Really cool looking boat. I suspect the "Hobie" in the ad is to draw someone who put Hobie in their search vs catamaran. $400 bucks, if it sails thats not a bad deal. Just parts could be scarce.

To answer your question - I dont have a clue about what kind of boat that is.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Dibs! .. I call it!

Is there anyone in that area that can go check it out?

It may be cost prohibitive to ship to NC, but what a cool looking boat (I know guys, 'cool looking' doesn't mean it will sail well -- but heck).

Thinking about giving him a call anyway.

--
    AJ
    Barefoot 12 Proa Outrigger
    Coastal NC, USA
    --
  • They say it's got all the parts, but i don't see a mast, or boom or anything... maybe they are stored somewhere else... i like the high clearance forward cross member, and the lack of a dolphin striker makes it that much more streamlined. The dagger boards are really funky looking too, maybe a sort of kick-up design? I am starting to think this thing may be some sort of custom deal. Parts would be very difficult to source... I am in Utah and about an hour and a half away... maybe it's worth a drive. I would love to buy it but i probably have more important things to spend $400 on. Why oh why do i have to spend my free time searching classifieds?

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • You could call Utah DNR and give them the registration numbers and tell them you are trying to track down a title. They will give you the information that is it registered as.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Venora I am in Utah and about an hour and a half away... maybe it's worth a drive. I would love to buy it but i probably have more important things to spend $400 on. Why oh why do i have to spend my free time searching classifieds?

OK Venora, it's your mission to visit this cool looking boat and report back to TheBeachcats.com with your findings. Take pictures from every angle whether you buy it or not. Relentlessly quiz the owner about it's history and manufacture.

Grill him to find out if there is any possibility that he has sales or assembly literature for the boat stashed away some place. If you can't get the boat fully assembled for photographs at least make sure and get the sales rolled out to capture any logos and the overall design of the sales. Pics of the rudder system and daggers too!

Look for any HIN numbers on the sterns or anywhere else.

This one is cool and needs to be added to the Beachcats Identification gallery.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Called the guy @ 10:00 am Utah time and left a message.

Waiting for a call back -- will let you guys know what I find out ...

--
    AJ
    Coastal NC, USA
    --
  • Ok, if badkitty doesn't hear back on it soon i'll try giving him a call...

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • It's actually about a 30 min drive from my house. I can't afford to buy another boat right now but I wouldn't mind taking a look at it just to check it out.

Hey Venora when and were do you sail?
    You gonna sail in the Summer Games at Deer Creek?
    You should come hang out with Utah Sailing Association at Bear Lake weekend after the 4th of July and Labor Day weekend.
    We;ve got another Solcat in our group as well.

Edited by Quarath on Jun 11, 2012 - 02:27 PM.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • This summer i am only really going to have Mondays off, so that limits our sailing options as far as clubs, get-togethers, and regattas go. I usually sail at Jordanelle, and will probably be out there every other week or so once the weather warms up a bit. (we were going to go today but it was a little chilly. This year we will be getting a state parks pass good for all the utah state parks, so we will probably go more places. I had it up at Bear Lake last year and really loved it. We are relatively new to Utah and never made it up there. If you ever get a monday off and want to go sailing let me know!

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • Hey Verona

have you considered Rockport? Mast up storage on the beach makes after work sailing pretty doable. $120-ish for the summer and not too far from Heber. Not the most dynamic place to sail, but for sure you'll get out a lot if you want.

Chris
  • i've actually never been to rockport before, but $120ish is pretty good. I'll have to look into it.

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • The daggerboard system looks nearly identical to those on the 18' AquaCat I looked at a while ago.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Ok ... Talked to the owner this evening ...

Not a sailboat person. Traded for a service and ended up with the boat. No paperwork. No hull I.D. number.
    Hulls have been painted. Mast appears replaced (too 'new' looking and doesn't match boom). Rudders
    are glass covered plywood. 'Dagger boards' are pivoting on a 'pin'. Single sail - no jib. Sail has window
    and is brightly colored with yellow orange gradient stripes and is not square topped.
    Didn't think mast had any spreaders - but it has been awhile since boat was in the water.
    Drain holes in transoms, inspection ports in decks. Some kind of corky-spongy 'non-slip' paint application on tops of hulls. Rigid foam flotation inserts visible in bottom of hulls through inspection ports.

Waiting for pics tomorrow.

--
    AJ
    Coastal NC, USA
    --
  • QuoteThis summer i am only really going to have Mondays off, so that limits our sailing options as far as clubs, get-togethers, and regattas go. I usually sail at Jordanelle, and will probably be out there every other week or so once the weather warms up a bit. (we were going to go today but it was a little chilly. This year we will be getting a state parks pass good for all the utah state parks, so we will probably go more places. I had it up at Bear Lake last year and really loved it. We are relatively new to Utah and never made it up there. If you ever get a monday off and want to go sailing let me know!

I was always told Jordanelle was overrun by motorheads so sailing was difficult. Deercreek is very close and has reliable daily thermals so wind in not an issue. I usually only go there once a year for the Summer Games. I don't usually sail in them I just volunteer with the club to help run things. This year is is the 23rd and the 24th of June. I won't be there because I will be at a Family event at Bear Lake. If you ever can arrange vac time for a weekend you should consider one of our Bear lake trips they are a great time. Except for Memorial Day, to Damn cold. Labor Day is Unofficial regatta. We sail the 10 miles to Garden City. Eat Lunch at LaBeau's and sail back. The sail back always seems to be interesting wind wise.

(cbb) Chris, you should come to. Where are you located?

Quotehave you considered Rockport? Mast up storage on the beach makes after work sailing pretty doable. $120-ish for the summer and not too far from Heber. Not the most dynamic place to sail, but for sure you'll get out a lot if you want.

I checked out Rockport it looks like a pretty nice deal but when I went the water was so high all the boats were stacked on the mountain side on top of the dead fall because there was no beach. Not sure if that was fluke or normal but it made me nervous all the same.

QuoteIs there anyone in that area that can go check it out?

It may be cost prohibitive to ship to NC, but what a cool looking boat (I know guys, 'cool looking' doesn't mean it will sail well -- but heck).

I don't mind taking a look if I can get away and I might could even store it for a bit. I am not sure what I could do about the tire or if it is really worth it to you to ship anywhere. I just took apart most of my Prindles so there is more room if the wife doesn't care. It looks like it is centerboard not daggers which I like it means they should kick up. I may not be able to do anything on a weekend right away. I might could break away on a weekday evening. I am not sure what I will be able to do about the trailer if the tire is shot.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Here are some of the images sent to me by the owner earlier today;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_001s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_004s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_007s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_008s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_009s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_010s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_011s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_012s.jpg

Would like to see images of the rudders and rudder housing mechanism. Looks like a modified Hobie sail with reef points. I see numerous wavy distorted sections on the hulls and several large areas of what looks like Bondo repair.

Edited by BadKitty on Jun 12, 2012 - 04:47 PM.

--
    AJ
    Coastal NC, USA
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.