Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Catalina Island?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 [+1]:

• I am up for either place. I have to trailer my boat to wherever we start from. Isn't Catalina only about 3 miles further than Santa Cruz island?

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • There are a bunch of "boat in" camp sites between Avalon and Two Harbors that could be ideal. Check out http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/camping-boating/two-harbors-boating/boat-in-camping
    I just checked the reservation website and most of the sites are still available for that weekend.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • More information on the "boat in" sites....

http://campingcatalinaisland.com/

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • Anyone been to Parson's Landing or anywhere other than Avalon and Two Harbors?

http://catalinaislandexplorer.com/parsons-landing-campground/
  • I really hope t hi is gonna happen for Catalina but if this falls threw my crew and will be heading out to Santa Cruz island that weekend if anybody is interested. Weather permitting of course.

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • I have camped at Parsons landing before. It is a small campground. At least one time I was there I recall a bit of a shore break. Not too big for people to stand in but it made landing and launching a dingy with a motor pretty difficult and exciting. It was a nice spot. It was a lot of years ago so I don't really remember all the specifics. At the time I worked at Howlands Landing (a few miles closer to Two Harbors).

The boat in campsites between Avalon and Two Harbors sound perfect because our group would have the spot to ourselves. And we wouldn't need to hike the gear 1/4 mile into the camp sites like is required at Scorpion. I have never camped at Scorpion but I have anchored there several time and went ashore to explore. Its a cool coastline but being able to camp right on the beach (like you can in the boat up sites on Catalina) has my vote.

Carl and myself are committed to making this happen, weather permitting of course. Our plan so far is to use Carls Nacra 5.8 and use lightweight backpacking gear to keep our load light.

Edited by genehacker on Oct 26, 2014 - 07:06 AM.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • My vote is for camping on the beach/boat.

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • It looks like to camp at Pearson's landing you need to check in at Two harbors.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • Goat harbor looks like it has a good beach for catamarans. When searching for info I stumbled along this:
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=18822

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • I'm prepared to go full rustic if need be. I'll just load the backpack like any weekend trip in the Sierras. The photo at Goat Harbor may be from a Bill Mattson trip. I'll email him for camping suggestions. Any landing East of Two Harbors would give us a better angle to the wind.
  • There are limitations to the number of people these sites can hold and reservations are required so it would be good to get a plan together and secure a head count soon so we can get the best site for our group size (whatever it ends up being).

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • seems like there's 4 boats (with crew of 8?) committed...is everyone fine with leaving Friday from Long Beach? Maybe move to e-mail to sort out the details would not be a bad thing..anyone want to take the lead?

the campsites fit 8 but I noticed that 5 out of 8 sites at Parsons Landing were already reserved for the dates 11/21 - 11/23.....even the boat-in camp site availability looks like it may shrink as Nov 21/23 approaches...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Email or on this public forum...either is fine with me.

My email is riverlakere at gmail dot com. I will have to confirm with Carl on leaving Friday but I should be able to make that happen on my end.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • Looking at the "boat in site" availability there are already limited options with a group of 8. As of today...this what is available:

Gibraltar: Sounds like it can be exposed to swells in the fall...might be less than ideal.

Italian gardens: cobble stone beach - no sand. Looks like plenty of space.

Rippers cove site A: set up for 8 people, has the best beach of the three camps in rippers cover. Sounds like its well protected.

I think Rippers Site A is the best choice for a group of our size.

I am down with going with the other options too (Scorpion on Santa Cruz, Two harbors, or Pearsons)...but Rippers Site A has my vote.

Whatever route we go, it looks like the full payment is required for making a reservation. It would be $32 per person for 2 nights so reserving a site for 8 would take an initial payment of $256.00...that is a pretty big chunk for someone to pay out without collecting from everyone else first.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • I have Paypal, maybe that would work.
    I prefer Parsons Landing, it has sanitary facilities and access to trails with hikes. With the boat in camp sites I am not sure whether we may be stuck on the beach site we land.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • I am fine with a Friday departure.Having a camping spot with a chemical toilet would be good just so we don't have to pack sh t out .Looks like we need to get a headcount and get this booked.I am fine with any departure point, and destination will the Ventura guys be cool with long beach\San Pedro? either way it is a 3 hour drive for us
    Email addy....crazyonbikes@yahoo.com
    Opps.. a sandy beach may be a good thing as landing on a cobblestone beach with little swell may be interesting

Edited by onekiwi on Oct 27, 2014 - 09:31 AM.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • Looking at Goggle earth there are 2 obvious trails heading inland from Rippers cove one ties into the the dirt road system, so hiking would definitely be an option from Rippers cove.

Parsons has the advantage of toilets, supplied water jugs, and firewood...but its less than ideal to have to go to Two harbors to check in and pick up the locker key. After picking that up it could be a pain to beat up to Parsons landing. It might be worth a call to see if there is anyway to camp at Parsons without having to check in Two harbors.

Even without the logistical complications of having to two harbors in route to parsons, Rippers would likely be an easier destination in prevailing winds.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • Launching Saturday and returning either Sunday or Monday might be better. Traffic getting to the launch would likely be way easier on Sat morning than Friday. I think it would be ideal to be pushing off at 10.30 or so and that would put is in the middle or morning rush hour getting there....for anyone that lives more than a few miles away this would likely be the case.

I have launched at Cabrillo Beach (which is the shortest distance to either parsons/rippers). I left my vehicle for a few days with no issues. There was cop in the parking lot when we got there (looked like he was taking a nap) and there was an attendant at the gate so it seemed safer than some other long term parking lots I have used. There is launch ramp with a long finger dock. This is where I would prefer to leave from.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • My vote is for leaving Sat and coming back Mon.

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • I look forward to reading about the trip. Unfortunately, I'm too far away and too new to the sport to go on this trip this time, but I'm hoping that I can trailer down south and join in on a future trip.

Hope you have a great sail!

Bob

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.