Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Catalina Island?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 [+1]:

• I got a reply back from the folks in Two harbors. It sounds like we could go strait to Parsons Landing and not check in at Two Harbors, but we would not have access to water/firewood if we did that.

So of these two sites it comes down to:
    Parsons has toilets.
    Rippers is likely an easier destination in prevailing wind but we have to pack out our poop.

I have done a ton of river trips where this is required...its not as bad as it sounds with wag-bags and a small bucket (or plastic container with a screw on lid).

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • BTW, Bill Mattson's website has a few more recollections from his Channel Island trips that you can look up :

2009 trip to Pelican Bay on Santa Cruz:

http://www.catsail.com/cinp/trip0609/sci0609.html

2003 trip to Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa:

http://www.catsail.com/cinp/trip3-2/trip3-2.htm

2003 Santa Cruz Island North Shore:

http://www.catsail.com/cinp/trip2-3/index.htm

2001 Santa Cruz Prisoners Harbor & Smugglers Cove:

http://www.catsail.com/cinp/trip1-3/feature1.htm

2001 Santa Cruz Scorpions Anchorage:

http://www.catsail.com/cinp/trip1-1and1-2/feature1.htm

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Sounds like an awesome trip. I used to work summers on Catalina when I was a kid and would see the occasion beach cat come over - always looked fun. Sailed there lots when I had a Tartan 30 in Oceanside as well. Anyway, couple things I'd consider...

Italian Gardens has no trail access if you want to hike. Nice diving though. Typically really, really calm. I've seen small Boston Whalers anchor there overnight with a tiny Danforth and just run a line to shore. Great diving at Goat as well (used to be anyway). Only been to Parsons once but found it quite pleasant.

Depending on wind direction, you can get becalmed pretty far off shore - I'd bring good side paddles. I think this is more of an issue between Long Point and the East end, but something to consider.

Probably obvious, but November is getting to "Santa Ana" season for winds. We were in Avalon once, when a warning went out. Got out of Avalon just before they hit - maybe 40 knots out of seemingly nowhere. Was quite terrifying actually.

Looking forward to the pictures & write-up...

Chris
  • Santa Ana winds are a concern. I was caught out once on a Ericson 35 and it was very scary. The weather report the night before was all good and by 9.30am were getting blasted. We had a hank on genoa that was a huge chore to bring in. When we limped into the harbor we shared looks with several other crews that likely got the same surprise we did.

There is a new warning website that went public this year. Here is the link: http://psgeodata.fs.fed.us/sawti/

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • how do folks deal with power needs on multi day camping trips?

...there's a lot of equipment out there but most of it is not submersible. So one option is to pack regular camping solar panel and battery charger (e.g. GoalZero) into a submersible bag or find a more robust solution that can handle salt water (at least to some degree). Also, there may be a need for DC power besides the usual low AMP USB charging required for Iphones GoPro etc. e.g my VHF has an 18V input charge station. There's battery charge stations but most of them are far from submersible and most not even waterproof...

Anyone had more luck with one type over another in the beach cat/camping environment?

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • another question re. anchors, folks have a style or a particular one they prefer for anchoring beach cats?

I found a 3.3lbs 4-fluke folding one from Kwiktek that's supposed to hold in mud, sand, gravel and rock and is coated to protect finishes. A 25 ft. long marine-grade rope, with an in-line buoy, is spliced to the anchor and a heavy-duty stainless steel snap hook.

I am thinking of ordering that or another similar fluke anchor (only 1.75lbs) for this trip...

The one's I carry on my inflatables are quite heavy and cast iron so may damage something or hurt someone if thrown around...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Marek,
    I personally just take extra batteries for the electronics I use. I sepcifically chose my VHF radio because it has a battery tray that holds AA batteries (same as my GPS). I usually bring 4 cell phone batteries. And I bring an extra battery or two for my cameras. For a three day adventure...this has always worked out pretty well.

As far as an anchor goes...we will likely bring the lightest/smallest danforth anchor that I have. I plan on strapping it down tight so it cannot get thrown around.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • OK...everyone that is in...what camp site should we reserve?

I talked to Carl this morning...we want to make reservations before our options start dwindling.

Carl is leaning towards Parsons, either way is fine with me. Unless there are any objections to Parsons...lets do this and get it tied up.

Edited by genehacker on Oct 28, 2014 - 08:36 AM.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • I am good with either place. Just one question. How far from the beach to the campground?

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • Parsons sounds good, we could still pick up the key later correct? Boat-in Rippers is fine with me too....

can send $$$ via Paypal to whoever makes the reservation...

I am going with spfx. Let's wait and see what he and the other boat under Dartman have to say re. the camping and launch/landing/timing details...not sure how often he checks in with this site...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Duane, Both rippers and Parsons are beach camp sites...you can camp on the sand and it should be no issue to actually sleep on the boats.

Marek, I think the best thing would to reserve multiple sites. The price is per person not per site. Two people can reserve one site and another crew can reserve another ajoining site. That would give us more room on the beach for our boats without having to take over another groups space. It also gives us options if another crew joins on and we have more than 8 people.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • Gene, ok, that makes sense.
    We'd still need to agree on departure day/time/ramp or we could just agree on some general timing on either Friday or Saturday. There will probably be delays with travel, packing etc. and then the question may be whether we want to try stick together while crossing. which may not even be possible. So it may be more realistic to have an ideal schedule that everyone trys to adhere so that barring hiccups one can expect to see each other at about the same time at the landing site/camp ground...that way each boat/crew can operate somewhat independently and we could still remain in touch for major problems that require help via cell or VHF.

Just my thoughts, I really have no preference and am relying on the more experienced sailors to decide on this...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • This was sent out as email today:

Hi all,

There’s a lot to consider for this trip and pros and cons to everything.

• Based on wind consistency alone Catalina is the better choice
    • Camping location- I’d consider a sand landing and beaching above anything else. Rippers looks sketchy from photos I’ve seen and Campsite A where all the sand is will be underwater with the expected 6.2ft high tide the 22nd and 23rd. Beaching on rocks to avoid this would suck. If Parson’s gives us better options for high tide, I’m all for it.
    • A 10:30 start sounds perfect as winds typically won’t be up till then
    • I think everyone is for a two night three day trip, correct?
    • What day do we leave and return- Battling Friday morning traffic is an impossibility, but driving in Thursday night would avoid traffic and may be a more restful option. A return Sunday would avoid the late afternoon traffic of Monday.

Please add final thoughts on the above if you’d like something different. Did I miss anything?

After the above is settled we can work on other details.

Duane- I can check out your boat this Saturday at Ventura Marina. Maybe take me out for a spin.
    Marek- I'll see you Sunday to look at yours and go over possible motor mounts, etc.

I’m really looking forward to this trip. It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a number of years.

Thanks,

Lance
  • Campsites booked for sat\sun at Parsons landing.I think leaving together may be a good thing,after that we will see.We decided to use the hobie18 that I have, wings should make a dryer trip.We are going to leave Lake Isabella early Sat morning, set up should not take more than an hour and then do this thing yahooo.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • Yes leave together and then see what happens sound ok. I don't have experience sailing in groups so what's the standard practice, if any. What about fog or heavy marine layer? Do we stay in line of sight? This came in from Bill Mattson today.

Sun sets at 4:45 that weekend. Bring a light and playing cards.

As for the crossing, delays or light wind could have folks in the dark. Everyone should involved should be comfortable sailing at night, have GPS navigation (not be dependent on line of sight), and have a good waterproof light for working as well as lighting up sails if boats are approaching. Headlamps work especially well as your hands are free to handle the sheets/tiller. Be very familiar with the anchorage from aerial photos, etc. If you are in a night landing situation, first boat there sets lights for the other sailors, and keep your gear on to enter the water to help the others land. Everyone should know that the first guy will set a light (and maybe wave it) at a good landing spot. On the return, the shore will be a sea of lights. Again, GPS nav is a must.

Good chance you won't deal with darkness on the water, but be ready for it.
  • Bringing a light and playing cards sounds like a good idea...a bit of whiskey sounds even better.

I have a sea kayaking deck compass that is actually illuminated that has bungee cords built in. Its made to strap to the front of a sea kayak but works really nice on a catamaran as well. It was like $40.00.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • ...I agree it's best to try stay together to the extent possible...we'll have VHF so communication should be possible.

technically we shouldn't be sailing/trolling in the dark without the red and green navigation lights Also, required is a mast light. Likelihood of running into traffic in a remote location such as Parsons Landing is extremely low but 4 boats w/o lights could be considered hazardous by the coast guard even with head lights and lamps on the boat b/c they want vessels to be identifiable from a distance. Especially, if we get caught without winds on sea which I understand happens quite a bit on the crossing to Catalina this may become more of an issue. I picked up a set of portable bow and stern lights a while back for my dinghy. I will probably take those along. I don't have a mast light though but may look into that too.
    They come with various mounts/suction cups etc. for $20-$40.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • I don't think navigation lights are required for sailboats the length of ours (a white flashlight or lantern is required). I think the rules change if we are under power...but if we are under power we will likely not be caught out after dark.
    But better to be safe than sorry. I have small LED clip on navigation lights that I use for back up on my monohull. They were really cheap and work well. I think they were under $15 on ebay/amazon. I will bring those.

Here is the ones I have:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clip-on-boat-light-navigation-LED-marine-battery-powered-sail-canoe-kayak-dingy-/331340009321

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • genehackerI don't think navigation lights are required for sailboats the length of ours (a white flashlight or lantern is required). I think the rules change if we are under power...but if we are under power we will likely not be caught out after dark.
    But better to be safe than sorry. I have small LED clip on navigation lights that I use for back up on my monohull. They were really cheap and work well. I think they were under $15 on ebay/amazon. I will bring those.

Here is the ones I have:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clip-on-boat-light-navigation-LED-marine-battery-powered-sail-canoe-kayak-dingy-/331340009321

Navigation lights are required for each and every boat on the water after sunset

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/content/general/4_2_b.php

Have fun...

Edited by JohnES on Oct 30, 2014 - 02:49 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Here is the actual rule link from the coast guard:

http://www.navcen.uscg.go…e=navRulesContent#rule25

Edited by ramstadt on Oct 30, 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.