Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mid Life Crisis, what have I done, a pic of my soon new to be cat  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hey, been lurking for years but never really had anything I thought was worth while to share or post. But I would like some opines on my soon new to be cat. I'll get her in about three weeks. Below is a pic of her at Aquarius getting a final check out and refit. I'll be the second owner, the original owner is getting a brand new one but all carbon. icon_eek Lord knows what that will cost. Mine has the Kevlar hulls, alum beams and alum 38.5' mast. The sails coming with her only have half a season on them and cost the original owner just over $6k...wtf.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/IMAG0546.jpg

I live in South Florida, North Palm Beach to be specific and my soon new to be baby will be parked in my back yard on a Jet Dock, mast up always, well except for an oncoming hurricane, and ready to roll. My canal to open water and the palm beach inlet is about a mile long so I had Aquarius build a little kicker bracket for her, oddly not in the pic because they said they already fabricated it, and going to put either a Torqeedo or propane kicker on her. Anyone got either?

Now the best part, Aquarius is shipping my new baby to Bill himself, whom lives just less than an hour north of me, and he himself is going to come to my pad and help me rig and tune her (well actually he is going to tell me what to do..lol)

I don't have any friends that really know how to sail so I will probably be solo a lot, anyone live close by? Give me a shout. icon_biggrin
  • i live on the water in boynton bch. i have a 30' iroquois, a 18' solcat, and a 18' nacra 18 square. i would like to sail on an aquarius. you can e-mail me at mwsheridandds@aol.com
    marc
  • The ARC22 is a fantastic boat. Although you are living on the edge if you plan on going it solo.

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteAlthough you are living on the edge if you plan on going it solo.

+1

Unless you are very experienced cat sailor, get some experienced crew 1 or even 2.

Congrats -- that's a beast! icon_wink

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Hey wait a second. That isn't a Corvette!? You are supposed to get a Corvette for a mid life crisis! :)

Wow, that is going to be a beast. I can't imagine what double trapping a 12 ft beam might be like. Have fun!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I used to own a super cat 20 and loved it. Not a tall rig but with a short spin pole and big reacher. I found it easiest to sail with a crew of 3. One of the crew on the jib, the other with mainsheet and traveler. Skipper just driving. Dave Posey from Riveria Beach made and maintained my sails, he was a big advocate of Super Cats and I beleive he made a lot of the sails for Bill Roberts, one of, if not the best sailors of this platform. I also still live in South Florida, Delray Beach and would also enjoy a ride.
    PS I sold my SC 20 in 2000 and it went across the border to Canada
  • That is nice.

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • Careful kid you will shoot your eye out with that. Good luck with her she is beautiful. Solo? Really? Rule of thumb, the bigger the boat the bigger the crew. Most folks that have big beach cats have a hard time keeping an adequate crew that have the same enthusiasm as the skipper. Get to work finding 6 hardcore people (not bodies) lined up in the next three weeks and cycle them regularly so you are fine tuned group. Enjoy

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • From my experience I would get to know the boat before you try and solo it. I took my 18ht out the first day I had it all put together and capsized withing the first 40mins.. Only to put a hole in the side from my harness and then realize I did not weigh enough to flip it upright.. Luckily a near by power boater was able to stop and help.. It was a mess, really fun though lol.. After a year now of sailing and racing it I am now only considering taking it out solo on a windy day.. I have seen the power and size of the 22 and you would be crazy to solo it and definitely not able to right it if you needed. How did you find a boat like that for 6K? I would have picked that up in a heart beat too! Did he list an advert or did you know the guy?
  • QuoteFrom my experience I would get to know the boat before you try and solo it. I took my 18ht out the first day I had it all put together and capsized withing the first 40mins..

Haha,, You too will shoot yer eye out kid. LOL. I always love the newcomer to the beach that buys a boat has no clue of how to right it and whamo less then an hour and they are standing on the inside of a hull saying Oh Crap. Its really fun to watch and I think we have all been there at one point. I still rmember sailing my first pram head on into a concrete bridge support over Rt70 not expecting the wind shift on the other side of the bridge. I think the operator of the bridge had a heart attack looking for this young teenager when out the other side I popped like a cork in the water. The hull took the shot and down the Manasquan River we went needing new undies icon_cool

Edited by JennaMeyer on May 13, 2013 - 10:02 AM.

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • That is sick.

I live in Palm Beach Gardens, I'll be looking for you on the water.
  • Awesome !!!! I know how the smaller versions of these are. I agree with the FIND crew. And please consult your doctor and make sure your heart is healthy enough for riding this gal !!! icon_eek Also remember to seek medical help for any perma-grin lasting more than a week. icon_biggrin icon_lol icon_biggrin
  • Well, you've ordered a rocket- do you at least have a pilot's license? icon_lol
    Mast up storage is a necessity in this case. I cannot imagine stepping an aluminum mast ten feet longer than the one I have.
    Your learning curve is going to be steep.
    We are all jealous of your ship. She's beautiful!

Don't know what your skill level is with cats, but my two cents is get out on the water with at least one other person. The first time you pop a hull in a big gust you could be sliding down the tramp so fast you will lose control of everything and capsize. Can you right this cat alone? What does Bill have to say on you singlehanding this 22 foot cruise missle?

This is just my opinion, and it is selfishly motivated. I want to hear stories, see photos and vids of you having a great time on your cat. I do not want you to sail this solo and crash, get hurt or discouraged and walk away from the sport.
    Nearly everyone has a drivers license and a car, comparitively few have a Maserati and even fewer know how to drive it at 200 MPH. You have just purchased a Maserati. Please see earlier learning curve comment.
    Have fun and share your good times with us. Can't wait to see you on the water!

Edited by klozhald on May 14, 2013 - 11:47 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • The main place I've seen these things raced is at the Juana Good Times Regatta at Navarre Beach. They are an amazing site, coming by like freight trains triple-trapped.

Congratulations.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • that puppy would be 2 handfulls trying to raise/drop the main solo before entering/exiting the canal icon_eek !

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Quote Also remember to seek medical help for any perma-grin lasting more than a week.

+100

QuoteHow did you find a boat like that for 6K? I would have picked that up in a heart beat too!

..........a refurbed (Bristol) ARC22 costs substantially more than $6k ........... maybe more like 40-50k (please see the original post).........6k is a reference to what the previous owner paid for a suit of sails.

Congratulations on the fine choice of boat. Tell us more about your sailing experience and definitely post a photo of the delivery day!

Edited by havliii on May 15, 2013 - 05:25 AM.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • Think I'll sell mine... move to Fl and live in my car across the street.
    Mooched rides before and I can do it again.

Niiice ride. Very sexy.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • marcs2i live on the water in boynton bch. i have a 30' iroquois, a 18' solcat, and a 18' nacra 18 square. i would like to sail on an aquarius. you can e-mail me at mwsheridandds@aol.com
    marc

You will get an email when I get things sorted, perhaps a month.
  • WolfmanHey wait a second. That isn't a Corvette!? You are supposed to get a Corvette for a mid life crisis! :)

Wow, that is going to be a beast. I can't imagine what double trapping a 12 ft beam might be like. Have fun!
    M

Corvette....F that, I got a KTM 300 xc-w for go fast on land thru the woods. Quickest two wheels in town. lol.

Now double trapping 12'.....should be fun and a big fall, my experience is limited to Tornados....aaahh whats two feet....lol.
  • SC19That is sick.

I live in Palm Beach Gardens, I'll be looking for you on the water.

Hey SC19 you live just around the corner.....shoot perhaps we could ride some swells against each other this October.....got a pic of your sc19??? I have Never seen you.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.