Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Largest Cat for Safe Sailing with a 9 yr Old?  Bottom

• Hello All,
    I am planning on returning to catamaran sailing this summer after a 20 year absence with my 9 year old son and sometimes my wife. My previous experience was with a Prindle 16 set up with a double trap and sailing on a very large lake and winning a few handicapped races; plus lots (15yrs) of mono-hull sailing from 16' to 37'. I am 6'2" and 210 lb and fairly athletic though I am over 50.

I have read many of the previous nubies questions about the best boat. I am most concerned about righting a boat when I flip it. If I am with my son only; I would actually be less than single handing the boat since keeping up with him would be first priority. My big advantage is that I will be sailing mainly in Galveston Bay which ranges from 6-12 ft in depth so I can't turn the boat upside down (unless I break the mast - once was enough in the Snipe). I never had any problem righting the Prindle 16 by myself except for my first time.

Currently I am leaning toward a Nacra 5.2 but there are a number of boats that I would consider. Then as my son gets older buying a larger boat. I would love one of the higher performance 18' (buying only once), but I don't know if I could right it when I flip it and keep an eye on him. Hopefully that would not be often; since I understand how to depower the sails.

What is the general consensus as to the most boat I would be able to right with and without using a righting system or bag? My price range is $2500 to $5000.

Thanks for any help. icon_cool
    AllenGTS
    Galveston Bay
    Boat ?????

--
    Allen
    Boat - Looking
    Previous Prindle 16
    Galveston Bay, TX
    --
  • Check out Texas City Dike Yacht Club TCDYC.com, come down and sail with us. There is usually a large group every first Saturday of the month and we are all willing to get you out on the water and let you crew on just about any brand of cat we end up with down there.

I sail with my 6 and 7 year old daughters on a Supercat 19, it's a little too big, so this year I bought an F16. See youtube videos below.

Edited by TopSpin80 on Apr 22, 2014 - 12:02 AM.

--
    Ernie Kamp
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TopSpin80#g/u
    Richmond / Livingston / Galveston / Kemah / Texas City, Texas
    Supercat 19 and Blade F16 "Nauti Habit", 2 Sunfish
    --
  • I have been complicating selling my NACRA F-18 and getting a Prindle 18 to take my 8 year old sailing...

This has go to be the simplest boat out there for a novice sailor and to get upright single handed should it tip....

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • allengtsHello All,
    I am planning on returning to catamaran sailing this summer after a 20 year absence with my 9 year old son and sometimes my wife. My previous experience was with a Prindle 16 set up with a double trap and sailing on a very large lake and winning a few handicapped races; plus lots (15yrs) of mono-hull sailing from 16' to 37'. I am 6'2" and 210 lb and fairly athletic though I am over 50.

What is the general consensus as to the most boat I would be able to right with and without using a righting system or bag? My price range is $2500 to $5000.

Allen, Welcome to TheBeachcats.com and welcome back to sailing!

First definitely hook up with the folks at TCDYC and check out their boats. You'll get a much better idea what you are comfortable with. Obviously you and the 9 year old could sail most beachcats, you can always strap him into a harness and have him trapping out!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRAs9GG5JQM

But if you get something like a Getaway you could take all his friends along with no problem.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I have a Prindle 18 and can right it without difficulty solo, although I weigh in at a little more than you do at 240. The Prindle is boardless and is a very forgiving boat but it can still get up to a good clip in a decent breeze. I would highly recommend taking advantage of the offer to go out on different cats to see which one you like. No matter what you choose make sure that you intentionally flip the cat you choose in a controlled situation and practice righting it. Also, make sure your crew knows to hang on to the boat if it tips, as it is not uncommon for a cat to be pushed by the force of air on the tramp at a pretty good clip. In a strong wind this is much faster than anyone could swim.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • Not sure what the bottom is like in Galveston Bay, but I'd generally rather have deep water if I turtle. A masthead stuck in a muddy bottom is not a good thing, so shallow water isn't necessarily an advantage.

Take the advice above and get in touch with the TCDYC folks.....I'd recommend you go ahead and join their forum: http://www.tcdyc.com/

I only know a handful of TCD people, but all the ones I've met are super cool!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks to all for the replies. Topspin80; I will definitely come down to the Texas City Dike on May 3rd; I tried last Saturday any there were only two cats in the water. I showed my son your video with your kids and he liked it a lot.

I agree with JohnES and spoultan that the Prindle18 would be an excellent choice because of the lack of boards; but that is also where I have a little reluctance. I know my Prindle16 could not point very high into the wind and boat with boards would do much better. I am hoping to find a boat that is not a project.

I will intentionally flip it and practice when I have a friend standing by to help if needed. I learned that lesson with my Prindle16 about a mile from shore.

Damon, Thank you for the welcome to community. I hope I can become a contributor.

Thanks,

AllenGTS
    Galveston Bay
    Boat ?????

Edited by allengts on Apr 24, 2014 - 06:16 PM.
  • Kids dig wings. This is my daughter when she was 7, holding the tiller and the main sheet on H17.

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/550325_245987832196831_1063908006_n.jpg

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • JohnESI have been complicating selling my NACRA F-18 and getting a Prindle 18 to take my 8 year old sailing...

This has go to be the simplest boat out there for a novice sailor and to get upright single handed should it tip....

P-18, for sure.

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Wings are great with kids. Their own place to sit, or place to lay down if the wind dies. Also extra room if you take their friends with you.

You ask about how big, my dad started taking my brother and I out in Santa Cruz, CA when we were 12 and 14 years old on a Supercat 20. The Supercats are awesome to learn the trapeze since they have large rounded hulls.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Allen,

There's a shop in Austin that has a Nacra 5.0 (I'm pretty sure that's what it was) that looks to be in good shape. There's also a couple of Prindles for sale on Austin CraigL (search surrounding areas too, I can't remember which city it was in). I'm planning to bring my H16 to the dike on May 3, along with a friend who will probably be bringing his H14T. Hope to see you there!

Tim
    82 H16

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • I had my son on our hobie 18m since he was 3 (I bought the 18 with wings so there would be something to grab onto to keep from falling off) and he started being my crew in racing at 8. As someone already said "kids LOVE wings". I did put a righting stick on it as when he was younger I wasn't very successful at getting it righted quickly by myself.

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • To everyone who has provided insight, THANKS. I have to remember that the prime reason for going out with my son is fun; not to only go fast while sacrificing other things. I plan on visiting with the folks of TCDYC on May 3, and then rapidly getting me a boat. My leanings are to a Prindle 18 or 18-2, or Nacra 5.2, but I would not rule out a Hobie 18.

Thanks,

--
    Allen
    Boat - Looking
    Previous Prindle 16
    Galveston Bay, TX
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.