Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How far the main sail when running  Bottom

• Hi,

How far on the side the sail should go when running. On the laser, the sail is about at 90 degree with the boat. On my cat, the further the sail can go when the sheet rope hit the stopper knot is about 45 degree. I think it should go 90 degree but want to be sure to evaluate the length of rope I need.

Thank you,

--
    AB
    --
  • you can't go 90* on a boat with side stays (shrouds) that are behind the front beam

going on a deep downwind run you should be able to travel out (at least to your hiking straps) and sheet out

if you have a stopper knot preventing you from doing this you need to correct that ASAP ( you dont want to get caught in a big blow and not have enough mainsheet to work with)
  • MN3you can't go 90* on a boat with side stays (shrouds)

You're right. I forgot about the side stays. I will check how long I need to reach the hiking straps.

Thanks,

--
    AB
    --
  • On your I-18, your main should be centered and sheeted most of the way down wind with your spin up. If you have enough sheet to travel all of the way out and let the boom hit the stays, you have considerably more sheet than most F18s.

If your running without the spin, traveling all the way out is plenty. You will still be sheeted fairly tight.

Keep in mind that you will rarely want to sail dead down wind. I like to keep the tells on the bridals at about 90* with the apparent wind.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • QuoteIf your running without the spin, traveling all the way out is plenty. You will still be sheeted fairly tight.

Keep in mind that you will rarely want to sail dead down wind. I like to keep the tells on the bridals at about 90* with the apparent wind.

Where i sail, at low tide you can't sail everywhere and there are lots of times you must sail dead downwind, or spin-less

Quoteyou have considerably more sheet than most F18s.

I would want to have extra vs not enough in a blow (been there) -

I have a pig tail system (spliced dynema) that i can adjust the top blocks about 6" . that equals 4.5' of more (or less) mainsheet with my 9:1
  • bachoKeep in mind that you will rarely want to sail dead down wind. I like to keep the tells on the bridals at about 90* with the apparent wind.
    MN3
    Where i sail, at low tide you can't sail everywhere and there are lots of times you must sail dead downwind, or spin-less

I think the point is that while you CAN physically sail a beachcat dead downwind, it's an extremely slow thing to do, although sometimes can be required as MN3 states.

Different from Dinghies which might want to sail that way.

MN3
    I have a pig tail system (spliced dynema) that i can adjust the top blocks about 6" . that equals 4.5' of more (or less) mainsheet with my 9:1

That can help a lot if the boom is high enough to allow for the pig tail and still not go block to block when sheeted hard.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I don't mean sailing exactly DDW,

i mean sailing VERY deep, esp when restricted to a 8' wide channel and your sailing south in a south blowing wind... your gonna go deep (or tack 300 times like Austin Powers driving a golf cart in a tunnel)

DDW leads to accidental gybes, which leads to concussions, and worse ... spilled drinks

QuoteI think the point is that while you CAN physically sail a beachcat dead downwind, it's an extremely slow thing to do, although sometimes can be required as MN3 states.

Edited by MN3 on Jul 10, 2014 - 02:51 PM.
  • Coolhead, I'll grab a picture this weekend of what fully blown looks like.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Okay, thank you Bacho.

--
    AB
    --
  • Andre,
    If your flying the spin, your main sheet acts as your back stay. Want to keep it sheeted, or risk breaking the mast.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Although 2 weeks late, here are the pictures as promised. This is what most of the boats in our fleet look like when fully traveled and sheeted out. Notice that stopper knots keep a few feet of sheet on the tramp.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/black92se/F4D14CDE-B8FA-4F80-961C-A1C06DAB844C_zps9qdblgn1.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/black92se/DB6EC2C3-D1B5-46D1-9414-8211BC32B6C8_zps4lx7fvq2.jpg

Edited by bacho on Jul 28, 2014 - 05:51 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Great Bacho, thank you. I will check the next time I rig my cat but It looks pretty much the same.

Thank you,

--
    AB
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.