Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Juana Good Time Regatta 2014  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• We double stack, I wish there was a way to triple stack!

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    1978,1978,1979,1982,1986 Hobie 16's
    --
  • We usually doublestack our boats, have brought 3 on one trailer with the third being dismantled. We always have extra bits and so does everyone else if you are missing something, there is key sailing just up the road, a Hobie dealer if you need anything else.

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    --
  • Karl,

There really isn't any boundaries to worry about. Once you know the course its pretty obvious.

Regarding your spinnaker, I would definitely remove it and race without it. Having a spin would put you in the spin class and not in the 16 class (I think, I know you usually want to separate the spin and nonspin boats). It also would make your distance race twice as long. You'd be burned out if you were sailing the same distance course as the big spin boats. especially if the wind it really light. Plus you'd definitely have more fun racing against other boats like yours than anything else. Lets you know how your doing when you race and can build up your skills better I think.

If we have a bunch of 16's like we did last year I hope they take out the single handed 16's and put them in the open class. Just so the 16 class is consistent we can all sail boat for boat. Would make the scoring for our class easier. So bring a crew!! I believe you sail the race differently if you know a guy has to give you time cause he is single handed.
  • You can always find crew at juannas, I think we might have a guy not on a boat if you need one.

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    --
  • i was thinkin i was kinda crazy to drive 8 hours from Hilton Head to the Juannas regatta, but you guys have got me convinced i cant miss it. Bringin a 1987 Prindle 18.
    how far is the race on sat ? or how many hours until my hulls fill with water and i should begin to panic ?
    i was out for three hours today and one hull had about an inch or so and the other had 4 inches of water .
    will someone rescue me and my boat or just hand me beers ????
    looking forward to a great time --joe
  • I'm sure someone will rescue you! Lol why is she filling with water? Could be a simple fix. Time of race depends on wind obviously, I'm thinking it's 10 miles round trip, maybe less? Worse case, you could beach boat for a quick hull dump and get back at it.

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    --
  • I will bring some resin and mat . so look for Blade F16 "Too Sharp to Touch" sail # 526

--
    Doug Klem
    Pensacola , Fl.
    Blade F16
    Prindle 18-2 w/spin
    Prindle 18-2 x 3
    Prindle 19 MX
    --
  • This is based on past years, not the NOR

Straight line distance from the start to 129 (the 16 turn mark, half way) is approximately 9.5 miles

Straight line distance from the start to 131 (the turn mark for non 16 non spin) is approximately 13 miles

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Hello Everybody-
    Getting ready to make the trip out for the “goodtime” and I just wanted to expand on some of the points made previously in this thread.

A question was asked if this was “serious, head's down racing or more of a fun race?”
    The fair response would be that it is both. As a relative newbie to cat racing I have spent the last few years taking in comments and points of view regarding the specific topic of fun vs. serious. I feel that since the question has now been asked that some of these ideas should be put out there for consideration.

I will quote friend & longtime H16 sailor Jim Gates; “If you pay money to enter a race, then the race is serious!”

It must be qualified, however, that “serious” is not “not fun!”
    What is serious is that there are a lot of expensive boats sailing in close proximity to each other in competition. There are 2 sets of rules which must be obliged in any regatta. The racing rules of sailing which provide the framework for good order and discipline on the course, and the class rules that govern the parameters to which your individual boat must meet.

The racing rules of sailing where designed first and foremost to prevent collision by establishing “right of way”. I think it can be agreed upon that a collision that causes damage or injury is not “fun”. It is every sailors’ personal responsibility to have a fundamental understanding of what the rules are and what they mean. I say this not to scare away new blood but to remind everyone that the risks are significantly higher than if you are just going out for a Sunday sail. It is in every sailors’ best interest to review, study, and understand the rules. On a personal note, I have committed my fair share of fouls on the course and have been extended more than my fair share of grace as I have progressed in my learning and understanding of cat racing. The Pizza Box course study with Team Tepe sounds like a great way to dot the I's and cross the T's! This is just further testament to what a great group of sailors congregate at these regattas as they embrace a “newbies” presence and coach them on how to run with the big dogs.

The class rules are a little more black and white than the racing rules. I say this because interpreting class rules does not require split second decision making while on the race course. These rules can be obliged before you even leave the beach. When the race committee or NOR states that individual class rules apply then there should be every effort by the individual to comply with those rules before they hit the water.
    As a H16 sailor I love that there are pretty tight parameters for which the boat and team must meet. This keeps the cost of ownership down while in theory leveling the competitive playing field. Through many conversations I have also come to understand that the F18 sailors also enjoy having pretty strict class rules. I mention this only because if it is determined that a “class” will be established for the regatta then the burden falls on us to self-police. There is not anyone weighing boats/crew or checking to see if you have a non-compliant trampoline. However, at a bare minimum, if the H-16s are to have their own fleet and class rules are to apply, come with crew, get up to the 285lbs minimum, and sail with Hobie sails on the boat. Anything less is a direct contradiction to the spirit of racing in a class. These are issues that could and should be addressed before the boats even hit the water. Like ConnerG stated, no one wants to have to race “open” if what they really wanted to do was race in a “class”.

To summarize, this is a serious race that is a lot of fun. When Team Tepe passes me with their 30 year old boats I smile inside as it is representative of what one design H16 racing is all about. When I miraculously find myself keeping up with the Gastons, the Vaughns, Jim Gates, or Karl and Bridget, I smile again because I know they aren’t letting off the gas to go easy on me. It is extremely fun racing!

What is not fun is a collision or injury. What is not fun is to drive long distances, pay money to race, and watch trophies being handed out to under-crewed boats, under-weight crews, and boats with aftermarket sails.
    So, bone up on the rules, get class compliant and let’s get ready to rumble! Look forward to seeing all the regulars and to meeting the first timers!

Jason “Boz” Bosley

Edited by captboz on Sep 01, 2014 - 03:50 PM.
  • Yeah , we got screwed out of 3rd place last year to a single handed boat. I hate having to wait till trophies to determine that you corrected out behind someone cause they were single handed. On light air days I'm sure weight makes a huge difference. Last year we mentioned it to the race officer and he said he thought about it.....

I was also thinking today about how they determine who traveled the furthest to get to the race. I'm sure the Tepe's know.... Is it based on who drove the furthest? Or does flying count as well? Do you have to leave from home? I've been in Texas for over half the month... I'm flying into Birmingham from El Paso, Texas and then leaving Bham for Navarre... That's like 1500 miles of traveling??? Do I win???? :) Someone needs to put the Tepe's to the test. On top of that I've got to fry out of Bham to North Dakota. That's a long way too right???
  • Quote So, bone up on the rules, get class compliant and let’s get ready to rumble! Look forward to seeing all the regulars and to meeting the first timers!

Captboz could you please point me to the Hobie 18 class rules? icon_smile

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • Boz , I agree with you 100 percent, well said. And for the record, we lost our orange boats to an accident on the highway, we now have much newer boats, my son's is just 32 years old and mine is the youngster at 28 years old! Lol
    We just finished stacking them this evening, looking forward to a safe trip down and seeing all our friends! Our friend Alex has been practicing quite a bit, he may be a local threat on his 38 year old boat!

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    --
  • For the record... Lol, we stopped accepting that award two years ago. I'm not sure what the rules are? I think part of it is based on how many waffle houses you pass on your way to navarre.
    I'm thinking this year might be a very competitive race!
    My goal this year is to nicely kick everyone's ass!

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    --
  • Ron- This address should get you to the class rules for all of the Hobie designs.

http://www.hobieclass.com/site/hobie/ihca/downloads/rulebook/RBook010413.pdf

The introduction on page 2 really sums up what its all about!
    Boz
  • Thank you very much!

I read through it and it makes a lot of good sense.

Just so I have an understanding, Magnums race only against Magnums, not against H18 classics correct? (I guess what I'm asking is if one person shows up with a Magnum or SX do you not run the class or do you handicap him against the other 18s?)

Edited by rondog on Sep 01, 2014 - 08:44 PM.

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • I think this class thing is getting too complicated now.. but to make it more complicated... I thought a regular Hobie 18 and an 18 Magnum had the same rating. Don't know about the 18 SX.

I would think when it comes to something like a race Hobie puts on you're only going to see regular 18's there. A good example is the Hobie 14. In the 14 class at nationals and such you only see regular 14's. Not 14 turbos.

The part I mentioned earlier about possibly putting the singled handed 16's in the open class was because the 16 class is already a somewhat big class at Juanas. There are enough double handed 16's to for sure have a class..
  • captbozHello Everybody-

A question was asked if this was “serious, head's down racing or more of a fun race?”

Jason “Boz” BosleyEdited by captboz on Sep 01, 2014 - 03:50 PM.

Very well said, Boz. A fun race is just that until one hears the blare of the starting gun. I downloaded the rules of racing from the International Sailing Federation and will bone up on the "right of way" guidelines. The last thing I want is to create any new beauty marks on my boat (or anyone else's for that matter).

I also read up on the H16 class rules. I do have a spin on my boat, but won't use it during the race. I don't want to remove it as it is a pain in the a$$, but I'm not yet competent enough with it to compete in a spin-class. My hope is they let me race non-spin if I promise to keep it in the snuffer.

With that being said, my boat will have at least 2 more non-compliant items, a gopro camera and a cooler full of Corona's. I'll gladly accept any penalties lodged due to the "Cervesa Mas Fina".

Just yesterday, I finished polishing the new gelcoat along the keels of my hulls. The 3-week-long-bottom-job is complete and the boat is reassembled. My wife now has the garage again to park the car, but unfortunately everything is coated in white gellcoat dust. What a mess.

Have a great week and we'll see you guys in Navarre. Argggh!

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • I found this "Basic Rules of Racing" on the Baltimore Yacht Club's website. Its not as ming-numblingly detailed as some of the other rulebooks, but does cover what looks like the important points of "right of way".

http://www.bcya.com/Misc/BasicRacingRules.pdf

Edited by motivated on Sep 02, 2014 - 08:13 AM.

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • I'd at least take the spin sail off the boat. That was there is no question. I doubt anyone would say anything if you leave it all on and not use it. It's just extra weight ;).

I don't see how a gopro or cooler with beer would conflict with rules of the class. None of those help the boat go any faster.

Back on the subject of the Juana's race... Just what I've noticed... No one is going to call you out if you have something like an aftermarket sail or tramp. To me all that stuff doesn't matter at a race like this. You may get some dirty looks if you and your crew are way under the 285 number. But in some heavy air I personally could care less how light you are.
  • QuoteI think this class thing is getting too complicated now..

"...this class thing" is the easiest to oblige. What is complicated is explaining to your son/next generation sailor why the under-crewed boat, the boat which sails below the minimum crew weight, and the boat with aftermarket sails is collecting the trophies after you made every effort to oblige the rules and come in seconds behind those that didn't! There is no excuse to not take care of these issues before the boats even hit the water, a simple google search will get you all you need to know about any class. If you have taken home a trophy in the past then those sailors should be the ones setting the example, not skirting the rules.

All one has to do is sail one race in a one design fleet and it becomes quickly apparent how critical weight is on the boat. Like I said earlier, no one is measuring boats or weighing crews. This is why it is important to self police. The H16 with the 180lbs skipper and 70lbs crew doesn't pass muster, neither do aftermarket/afterburner sails. Deviations from class rules create animosity, animosity leads to a fractured class. Fractured classes have poor turnouts at regattas and it is not fun to race by yourself. Lets keep the H16 class strong and competitive and continue to have strong turnouts on the course.

I have 30lbs of segregated lead weight that I can lend to anyone who is interested in getting up to minimum. I do not need it this year as I have been bulking up the last 12 months by drinking beer and eating donuts. I cant say that I'm proud to be sailing with my 70lbs son and still come in well above the 285 H16 min, ...but at least I can get my butt spanked fair and square.

Boz

ps- Karl, great reference from Baltimore. Sounds like you have done your due diligence. Look forward to meeting you.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.