Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 19 set up questions  Bottom

• Just bought a 1992 P19. How do you rig the jib setup with the blocks in the middle of the tramp? Also, how do the bungi cords attach to the center boards? Much appreciated fellow sailors.
  • Here is a link to the original owners manual...

http://www.lindstaedt.com/manuals/manual_prindle_18-2_19.pdf

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • ashubenAlso, how do the bungi cords attach to the center boards? Much appreciated fellow sailors.

This is an upgrade that some did to keep the centerboard at half depth. It was not a factory option.
    The bungee goes from a hole in the pivot up and around the side stay shackle. It is loose when the board is all the way down (or up), but when you want it to keep the board half-way, you hold the board where you want it and pull up on the bungee to wedge it in between the board and the side of the well.

Edited by klozhald on Aug 12, 2014 - 07:30 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Pics, we needs pics of your boat :)

Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • Thanks- I will uploads picks of my P19- she is a beauty ( just had some minor work done on the hulls, so now it's perfect)
  • How do I upload a profile pic?
  • ashubenHow do I upload a profile pic?

The profile pick is called an avatar, instructions for that and for using the photo albums are in the links below my signature (also instructions on setting up your signature).

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • P19 questions- Does the down haul rope for the main slide through the Cam at the bottom of the mast? Where/how does the Jib halyard attach to the mast- didn't see a cleat? Where does the main halyard, that goes through that block at the bottom of the mast, attach to? lastly, if I am not using the four way jib, can I remove that pouch in the center of the tramp? Thx fellow sailors! icon_confused icon_confused
  • Here's a pic of the downhaul on my P18-2
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76155&g2_serialNumber=4

The jib halyard is stored behind the zipper of the jib, its in the manual.

The main halyard is stored in the small zippered pocket on the tramp,
    and should not be cleated or run trough a block.

Wise choice you made not using the 4-way system, it ruins your knees,
    and sailing-suit.
    You can ad a zipper on each side of that pouch and use it for extra
    storage.

Regards, André

Edited by catmodding on Aug 21, 2014 - 07:13 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Quote Where does the main halyard, that goes through that block at the bottom of the mast, attach to?

attaches to a ring that has a shackle on it. the shackle attaches to the ring on the top of the main. after you hoist it, the ring on attached to halyard catches and "locks" onto a hook at the top of the mast to secure it.

you take the 30' of halyard that is in a pile on your deck and fold/roll it up into a nice clean loop and tie it off. put that into your tramp pocket if you have one if not..... it will need to be secured so it doesn't come undone on you while sailing

http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=35522
  • Thank you, Andre!! Got it now.
  • ashubenThank you, Andre!! Got it now.

Don't forget MN3 for his spot on comment in this topic.

André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Boy, not a lot of love for the four way system. I just set it up and so far it is not in the way at all. With three people I could see it as a problem though.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • if you have a full deck you can sail all day without adjusting the position of the jib blocks.

these are important adjustments when your trying to maximize sail shape for upwind/downwind & rough or smooth waters but not so critical that they will prevent you from sailing at a "fun" level in any position.

if i had 3 girls on my cat (no way would i have 3 guys) i would set them so the jib sheet "splits" your jib right in the middle and would set the jib blocks about 85% "out".

QuoteBoy, not a lot of love for the four way system. I just set it up and so far it is not in the way at all. With three people I could see it as a problem though.
  • How do you properly attach the jib blocks to the jib clew. There is a rope that hangs off the jib. Should I use shackles? Im not using the 4 way jib sheet. (heading to sail Tahoe next week!!) Thanks icon_cool
  • Usually tie 2' line with bowline to each block and then luggage tie line to clew. Or you can create this with a large shackle to your blocks and eliminate the line. Make sure you have enough jib sheet to do this.

http://www.murrays.com/28-0371.html

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • QuoteUsually tie 2' line with bowline to each block and then luggage tie line to clew. Or you can create this with a large shackle to your blocks and eliminate the line. Make sure you have enough jib sheet to do this.

Make it look like this,(click on photos to enlarge);
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109430&g2_serialNumber=3
    The red lines are the jib lines, you can see how they terminate via a short line attached as per davidsd above.
    Remember, each jib line is a 2:1, & you have 2 of them. For every 1' you make that lead from the jib clew, you save 4' of jib sheet. There is a limit as you need to be able to fully sheet the jib before the small block runs into the jib block on the hull.
    A better way, IMO is to attach like so:
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109574&g2_serialNumber=4
    This is how the Mystere 6 is rigged. the bottom line that goes to the clew is actually a long loop, the other line ends in a monkey fist. You put the end of the loop through the clew, then put the monkey fist into the loop, presto, jib attached with no knots or shackles to undo.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 29, 2014 - 06:18 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Nice Wings! Are those custom or is that an option on the Mystere?

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • They are Hobie 21 wings, modified to fit the Mystere. If you can drag them in the water, you are already on your side.
    They install, or can be removed, in about 3 minutes. It takes longer to walk to the garage & get the socket than to take them off.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=109394
    The Mystere XL's could be ordered with a factory set of wings, but I have not personally seen them.
    Incidentally, I just dealt with Mystere, I had them build a new tramp for the boat in the photo. Yves returned my initial emails within the hour. He emailed a couple of questions to be sure of the color/bolt rope size, & answered my replies within minutes.
    They built & shipped the tramp the next day.
    I know people had some unsatisfactory dealings with them in years past, I was quite surprised at how quick it went.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.