Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

For You Prindle Fans  Bottom

• Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4yotgj8do

Edited by JohnES on Aug 23, 2014 - 12:36 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Believe it or not, Jeff Prindle stopped by Fastlane (Ron Lane's store) and bought a used P-16 last year! Pete
  • So a lubber question here: all those cats in the video flying a hull at about 45 degrees - is that optimal? I am sure it is sexy and feels like a rush (I figure it does - I can't do that yet), but is it not just much more precarious way to spill wind out of your sail by tilting it (and thus reducing the effective sail area) than sheeting out till your windward hull is just skimming the water? Just curious...

--
    Mike
    Prindle 16
    Rochester, NY
    --
  • You're correct, just skimming the waves with the windward hull maximizes the driving force the sailplan can produce, while minimizing hydrodynamic drag by reducing wetted surface with one hull out of the water. Any additional heeling reduces the efficiency of the sails, without further reducing wetted surface area(and may increase it some). And the foils become less effective as heel increases as well.

But it is good fun to fly high!

Dave
  • [quoteJohnES]Enjoy
    [/quote]

Thanks for sharing, John. I am in that video at 7:15, the guy in the back row on the right edge, in the white shirt and blue cap with gold birdsh*t on the brim. We were all lined up getting a trophy shot at the '82 MidWinters in San Felipe, Mex. It was Feb and cold and the wind blew 30 knots the second day. 78 boats total. Really good times.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    ohnESEnjoy

Thanks for sharing, John. I am in that video at 7:15, the guy in the back row on the right edge, in the white shirt and blue cap with gold birdsh*t on the brim. We were all lined up getting a trophy shot at the '82 MidWinters in San Felipe, Mex. It was Feb and cold and the wind blew 30 knots the second day. 78 boats total. Really good times.

Cool.... but that guy is way too good looking to be you, you sure it is you? icon_lol

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • JohnESCool.... but that guy is way too good looking to be you, you sure it is you?

Yeah, I always look better blurry and in the back.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.