Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 front crossbar bolt assembly  Bottom

• So (cutting to the chase): the reason the starboard hull looked like it was moving independently the other day was because the forward inboard bolt holding the hull to the crossbar is gone. Not sure how or when, but I'm not sure whether in replacing it I need to order the "kit" ($89) that includes a casting; or if i can get away with just the bolt, nut, and washer. My expert (Bob Bergstedt) has never dealt with this before but was not able to get a bolt started in the crossbar, but could not tell if there was a piece broken off in there.
    If anybody has any experience or insight on this, please chime in!

Thanks,

Peter
  • answers on catsaiolor to your question are spot on

Edited by MN3 on Aug 26, 2014 - 01:44 PM.
  • Inside the crossbar is a plug with threads. It is riveted from the outside to the inside of the crossbar. You need to remove the the end cap of the effected side, drill out the rivets to the old plug, remove it and install the new plug and bolt the hull back up using the new hex bolt. Don't forget to coat the bolt with some type of anti corrosion material.
  • pomalleySo (cutting to the chase): the reason the starboard hull looked like it was moving independently the other day was because the forward inboard bolt holding the hull to the crossbar is gone.

911hobieInside the crossbar is a plug with threads. It is riveted from the outside to the inside of the crossbar. You need to remove the the end cap of the effected side, drill out the rivets to the old plug, remove it and install the new plug and bolt the hull back up using the new hex bolt. Don't forget to coat the bolt with some type of anti corrosion material.

Peter, if you end up repairing your beam, please try to take pictures of the damage, the parts, and the steps to repair to help the next Hobie 18 owner with this problem. This would be a good subject for a new album in the Beachcats Technical section.

Good luck,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.