Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Impressions of a newbie  Bottom

• My wife and I took the Hobie 18 out by ourselves for the first time. We went out one other time, but we had an experienced catamaran sailor teaching us. Though I'm an experienced sailor (I've even taught sailing for the Redondo Beach park district), this was my first time skippering a catamaran. We never left Santa Cruz harbor, but we had a good time going up and down the main channel.

It took us a little time getting used to things. My wife is just learning how to sail and I was learning the feel of the boat. My first mistake was that you absolutely must have footwear when walking on the boat ramp at Santa Cruz. That really hurt my feet. My second mistake was that I couldn't tack without the jib. I couldn't seem to get enough speed with only the main to get all the way through the tack.

All in all, it was a fun first outing. We learned a few things and my wife is still interested in sailing with me.
  • welcome to beachcats. yeah tacking without the jib can be a real pain but it can be done with some practice. it's a matter of backing up. for newbs this can be a real shocker..... just move everything like a normal tack and then move the rudders the opposite direction and hold the main to catch the wind and believe it or not...the boat will back up. once pointed the way you want to go, sheet in and make way....hope this helps

Edited by CatsailorMike on Oct 20, 2014 - 03:35 PM.

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • ramstadtMy second mistake was that I couldn't tack without the jib. I couldn't seem to get enough speed with only the main to get all the way through the tack.

Some beachcats do ok without the jib, but the Hobie 18 really needs it. Instead of leaving it off, learn to "depower" the sails by flattening them out and letting out a little main traveler when upwind.

ramstadtWe learned a few things and my wife is still interested in sailing with me.

That's the important thing!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • CatsailorMike just move everything like a normal tack and then move the rudders the opposite direction and hold the main to catch the wind and believe it or not...the boat will back up. Edited by CatsailorMike on Oct 20, 2014 - 03:35 PM.

Thanks, yes, I've used this trick on monohulls before. I was having trouble getting my bearings over the weekend. So, I didn't succeed at this on the cat, but then again, I didn't really try all that hard.
  • DamonLinkousSome beachcats do ok without the jib, but the Hobie 18 really needs it. Instead of leaving it off, learn to "depower" the sails by flattening them out and letting out a little main traveler when upwind.

Yes, that makes sense.
  • on my mystere 5.5 if i don't have the jib out i must overpower, and over shoot the tack

i.e.
    i must fall off and power up more than normal before the tack
    and overshoot the tack to power up to avoid a stall

Edited by MN3 on Oct 20, 2014 - 05:03 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.