Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Replacing prindle 16 starboard hull, or selling whole boat?  Bottom

• Hey all,

A few months back, I acquired a P16 and trailer for a super deal "needing glass work". When I took a look, noticed the areas of damage had the absolute worst repair jobs I'd ever seen, and figured I'd be able to pull those out, and fix it right. Having done lots of fiberglass repair in the past (mostly surfboards) it sounded awesome. Picked up the boat (not knowing too much about catamarans), repaired a 3 foot crack near the front cross bar (apparently most common area of damage) on the inside starboard hull area. Injected some areas to alleviate the delam, but decided to take the boat out, and see how well she floats, before continuing months of work and continually finding something else to fix.
    Took it on the water a week ago, sailed around for about 3 hours (with a pump, and staying close to the loading dock, just in case). Everything handled well, minimum amount of water in the hulls when we packed it all up, though the starboard hull seemed to collapse a bit, becoming less buoyant and sitting low on the water.
    I've been super busy since, and only yesterday got to take another full look over, to see how everything went. Unfortunately, it looks like the inner layer of skin on the outside section of starboard side cracked 3 places in a 3 foot area. It's something I know I can fix (reaching through the port hole), but it'll take time and frustration. Being a 30 something year old boat, is it just going to be a catch up job? Everytime I fix something, will I have to fix something else? All other parts of the boat is solid, no rust, mold, etc. Clearly one of the previous owners took the time to keep things well, minus the glass damage. Am I best off selling it, or looking for another hull? How difficult is it to replace a hull entirely?

Again, and unfortunately new to the sailing world. Any advice is appreciated.
  • Dan, there's a guy in Deleware needs a port hull. See classidieds. You guys should get together and share another buy. Pete
  • 4 bolts replace a hull...it's easy. buy a parts boat cheap. I sail the snot out of my 38 yr old p16!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p526x296/10393661_810494972305700_4916262583590599388_n.jpg?oh=e23009f2513bf568fe80a65ba9e277d8&oe=54B2E4C6&__gda__=1420928800_1159cc34fa29adf960b1b882ba14ddb2

Edited by coastrat on Oct 24, 2014 - 08:26 AM.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.