Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rusted trailer hitch  Bottom

• My trailer hitch is all rusted and my preference would be to replace it. I notice that it is welded to the tongue of the trailer which means that I won't be able to remove it myself. Where should I take the trailer to get this fixed? I'm in San Jose, CA.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • mine was rusted on i went to lowes and got a angle grinder and a cutting disk , cut the welds and knocked the bad one off with a hammer smoothed off the metal and put a bolt on hitch with grade 8 bolts

--
    "take your dreams down from the shelf take the measure of yourself upon a beckoning sea"
    eileen quinn
    --
  • Quotemine was rusted on i went to lowes and got a angle grinder and a cutting disk

Get several discs, they burn up quickly. don't forget safety glasses & gloves.
    Prime/rustproof the grinds, they will corrode quickly, especially in salt water.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Ok, that scares me. Can I just take the trailer to somebody and have them take care of it for me?
  • Sure, any trailer service shop will fix you up. Some muffler shops am do it as well if you bring them a new part.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • It's a pretty easy fix, but as Bacho said any trailer shop will do it in 30 minutes. The hardest part is drilling new holes to attach the new part. A 1/2" drill with a decent bit is way better than your cordless.
    For safety, they usually use 2 bolts, & due the shear load you don't want to use grade 5.
    The new part may well have proper bolts included.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.