Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Newbie wants a set of 1980 HOBIE 18 WINGS  Bottom

• Hi all. I was looking for a H16 hull replacement and came across a real gem! (in my eyes) I found a 1980 Hobie 18 for $500.00. This cat must have been in a garage for over 20 years. It has a bright yellow gel coat and the red pin stripes are not even damaged a bit!! The bottom of the hulls have barley any marks at all. This makes my H16 look like a real piece of something. I paid $800 for the H16. So, I'm interested in a set of wings but I hear SX and Magnum as choices. I also heard they may need to be braced in some way. I'm afraid if purchase a set on line ,they may not fit. Are the pretty much universal? I also read once you go wings, you never go back. Is this true? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Edited by trailertrashjohn on Nov 29, 2014 - 04:15 AM.
  • Any H18 SX or Mag wings will fit. You may have to order the mounting hardware.

Wings from a Hobie 17 or 21 will not be compatible.

Wings are a matter of preference, I started with them and took them off as I enjoyed trapping more without them. They are certainly nice to have for giving out rides though, or more relaxed sailing.
  • I hate to say it but if you buy the wings you are going to spend more on them than you have on your entire boat. The trampolines for the wings are very expensive, if you are willing to drop a lot of cash you can order them online. I personally would build the wings out of similar materials. I built the wings for my Hobie 17 and they work great, didn't cost me much at all. Just take your time to try and duplicate the original design. It is not much more than some aluminum tubing with trampaterial on it, but way over priced.

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • Used 18 wings are few and far between, and new ones are exorbitant, as retro intimates. Building them is possible if you have a set nearby to copy, and have alum welding skills, or access to them. Wings do seem to be a personal preference, they are very comfortable, as a backrest sitting on the hull, or seated on them. Trapping off them is great, but that's in a lot of wind, and your sailing skills need to be up to the task.

Drawbacks included additional weight on an already heavy boat, and you can't heel very much before the leeward one drags(significantly!) in the water, wanting to spin the boat to leeward.

The Magnum wings are wider and shorter(more cruising oriented), the SX ones are narrower and extend further aft, nice for keeping crew weight aft when driving hard downwind.

Be nice if you could spend some time on a boat with them to decide if they're for you, before you go to the effort and expense.

Dave

Edited by davefarmer on Nov 29, 2014 - 08:49 AM.
  • There are pros & cons.
    The good- girls love them, & if you use your imagination I'm sure you can figure out some other benefits. They make a very good backrest when sitting on the hull, or keep you up out of the spray when sailing in cool weather. They were pretty exciting to trap out from, you are a long ways up with a hull in the air.
    I'm only 175, & they give you added leverage to keep the boat down.
    The last photo is on the 20' Mystere, in only about 7-8mph breeze. It's a 10' beam,(13.5 with wings) & I'm just holding it down.

The bad - $$$, hard to find, make the boat too wide to trailer,(my 20x10 Mystere 6XL is 13.5' wide with them), & it is something more to crash into when you flip. The spin sheets also tend to hang up on them when gybing the kite. This might not be an issue on all boats, mine were Hobie 21 wings, modified to fit the Mystere.
    You might need a longer hiking stick if you plan to trap off them.
    I never fell off them while trapped out, but I think it could hurt if you did.
    Mine wouldn't drag in the water, if you got it that far you were going over anyway.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109397&g2_serialNumber=4
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=112326&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=112332&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 30, 2014 - 09:11 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • retropharoahI hate to say it but if you buy the wings you are going to spend more on them than you have on your entire boat. The trampolines for the wings are very expensive, if you are willing to drop a lot of cash you can order them online. I personally would build the wings out of similar materials. I built the wings for my Hobie 17 and they work great, didn't cost me much at all. Just take your time to try and duplicate the original design. It is not much more than some aluminum tubing with trampaterial on it, but way over priced.

The Magnums seem to sell for between $600-800. Double it for the SX. Ive seen a couple pairs of magnums go for $650 in my area with good tramps.

How much did your wings cost you, and how much time did you have in them? I've ran the numbers several times, and I have the appropriate skills, welders and benders to make them. Considering my labor I couldn't touch the price of the used mag wings, even considering my tooling is free.
  • Really nice Magnum wings here for $550!!

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53064

If you end up with and exc condition Hobie 18 Magnum with only $1050 invested, you basically stole it!!!

If it doesn't have the steel reinforcements around the beams attached to the hulls you definitely want to buy those and install. Wings add stress.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Thank you all for the inputs. Yes Tim, if I can get the wings and H18 for $1050.00 it would be a steal. I tried to answer the add but only the bechcat rep emailed me back to say it was approved? Wierd. I am concerned with Edchris177 comment on not able to trailer with the wings. I thought I saw a picture somewhere that the wings unattach at some point and kind of swivel or move towards the center somehow, bringing them in from sticking out so far. Is this the way they work? I will have to trailer my H18 everywhere I go so am I correct on this or would the wings have to be insalled and taken off everytime I trailer? If these wing do move to make it trailerable, I'll deffinately keep pursuing a set. Thanks again for your advice!

Edited by trailertrashjohn on Dec 07, 2014 - 05:52 AM.
  • They tilt as you have seen, that was probably an email about your registration to the forum being approved.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • trailertrashjohnI am concerned with Edchris177 comment on not able to trailer with the wings. I thought I saw a picture somewhere that the wings unattach at some point and kind of swivel or move towards the center somehow, bringing them in from sticking out so far. Is this the way they work?

Yes, here are pictures of the Magnum and SX wings when folded up. You have to have some kind of support to lock the wings in place for trailering so they don't flop around too much.

Example home made support
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=11711

Magnum Wings
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27755&g2_serialNumber=4

SX Wings
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27757&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • The wings swivel up/inboard for trailering. No issue at all. They are kinda hard to find used, heck, its easiest to find a H18 magnum entire parts boat ( i paid $1200 with a nice trailer - hulls were toast ) and snatch the wings off of it then sell the H18 parts, I got $1000 back after a year of parting it out. Thats how i got my magnum wings. New wing tramps were about $250. To find a set, be prepared to drive a day or two each way, shipping is gonna be ridiculous.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Thank you bocho, Damon and Tim. I'm glad to hear this news. I definately want some so I'll keep looking. I plan to see if any H18 with these wings are for sale and ask them if they want to sell the wings seperate. I may get lucky! Thanks guys!
  • QuoteI am concerned with Edchris177 comment on not able to trailer with the wings.

Sorry for the mislead, I should have been more specific, and/or paid closer attention to what you are sailing.
    The wings on the Mystere (at least the lower) would need to be removed for trailering,(it's a tilt trailer). I never move the boat, so it wouldn't be an issue for me, & it is only 4 accessible bolts/wing, so it wouldn't be that bad, but I see it as extra set up time.
    A fellow on the island across form me sails an H17Sport, & his wings don't fold either.
    As you now know, the H18 wings can be unpinned & folded. I think there was a thread a while ago about using some quick pins to speed the process.
    They also make a good place to store gear if you camp, or do day trips to beaches. I had loops under the wing tramps to store the paddles.
    One final benefit, especially on the wide beamed boats. When you flip it, one wing will be underwater. That wing makes a bloody fine rail to stand on, allowing you to uncleat the jib, & gain access to your righting bag.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks Edchrist177 for the clarification. So, yes, I'm going to keep on looking for a set. I'm not really into hairball sailing as I'm still new at this. I do like casual sailing for sure and want to be able to carry 3 people if needed. It looks so comfortable.
  • For casual sailing you will love an 18 w/wings over a 16. Tons more space in n additional n to more comfortable. The trailering pictures Damon posted are easy and secure ways to transport, I made ones similar and well worth the afternoon of building a support. I have looked into upgrading from my 18 magnum to a newer boat, but keep coming back to not wanting to give up the wings. As you get better at sailing, trapping off the wings is exciting and a real treat. The boat handles 3 people really well, but solo feels like a totally different boat. Sounds like you found a great deal, good luck finding wings.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • If all above fails, then try this :- http://www.sitnsail.com/index.htm

R
  • If you've decided you want 'em, I'd jump on the ones fxloop supplied the link to. I doubt you'll find them cheaper.

Dave
  • Hello trailertrashjohn
    I'm the guy selling the magnum wings mentioned above.
    Where are you located?
    Yes wings do fold in for transit as shown above.
    For the magnum wings this is a better set with the extra braces in the legs.
    Aftermarket covers are available at SLO SAILS for about $250 per set.
    Mounting hardware is available at Murray's Marine.

Give me a call if you would like to talk further.
    corkguy 707-363-6289
    St. Helena, CA. 94574
  • Thanks Corkguy!

I'll call you around 9:00am this morning. If you are not there I'll leave a message.
    I definitely want these wings!
    714-751-2225 (work)
    951-279-9822 (Home)
  • Corkguy,

Here is my email address. jsavage@newmarpower.com

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.