Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

GROOOOOVY!!!!!!  Bottom

• I have a '90 H18 and was going to bring her down to a fiberglass repair shop to have the bottom faired but when I looked at the underside I noticed by the daggerboard jackets two grooves, one on each side of the aft daggerboard slot. Is this normal or is this something that would be considered wear and should be filled?
    Reason I ask is I don't have any H18's near me to compare to see if the was the design by Hobie Alter or some sort of strange wear? It is uniform on both sides so it seems that this could be intentional...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edited by rondog on Jan 20, 2015 - 06:51 PM.

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • I'm not sure what you are describing. Pictures?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I've seen it before on several different boats. My theory is that it's abrasion from water flow around the board.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Damon, it’s in storage but I’m heading over there this weekend so will take a photo.

Bacho you might be right on the money because it almost appears to be that way! I just cannot believe that water would tear away at the glass so ferociously and deep! I was originally wondering if they were some sort of hull strakes or something?

Anyway if it is not supposed to look that way and the hull behind the DB sleeve should look rounded just as the front of the DB sleeve then I will have it reshaped in the repairs.

I’ll post up a photo for others to check their boats against and make the same conclusion for future reference.

Thanks!

Edited by rondog on Jan 21, 2015 - 08:15 AM.

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • QuoteI’ll post up a photo for others to check their boats against and make the same conclusion for future reference.

Can't comment without images

PS while your post title is "cute" i would probably not have ever clicked on it (could care less about groovy decals, youtubes, etc) so you may want to be more descriptive of your real post goal (i.e Need help with odd "groves in boat) to get better / varied responces ... just my 2cents

Edited by MN3 on Jan 21, 2015 - 12:39 PM.
  • If it is wear in the fiberglass, I agree that would be odd. Try comparing the left hull against the right hull. The odds of dragging, or damaging both hulls to produce groves identically in both hulls would be pretty rare.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.