SC-15

After sailing the Corsair for a few months we decided to introduce our grandchildren to sailing. I had him take a course locally where they learned on Hobie waves. He loved it. Well I decided to find a small beach cat to leave on the coast for him when we don't have a lot of time.

Found an old SC-15 in really good shape with all the hardware and equipement in very good condition. Any inputs as what we should look for as far as good and bad with this boat?
Supercats are good boats and still have support from Aquarius sails. I've had a SC20, 17, and have a 19XL right now and have really liked them all. I personally haven't heard of the delamination problems with them like some of the other boats. The hulls have a lot of volume so aren't prone to pitch poling, you can drive them pretty hard. They also have a righting system incorporated in the shrouds that makes them say to turn back over. Only downside is that used parts aren't as asscessible as the Hobies and Prindles, but like I mentioned earlier you can get any part you need for Aquarius. The customer service those guys provide is outstanding if you ever have questions or need a part.

--
Mac
Midlands South Carolina
AHPC Viper USA 366
A Cat USA 366
Super Cat 17
--
diegokidAfter sailing the Corsair for a few months we decided to introduce our grandchildren to sailing. I had him take a course locally where they learned on Hobie waves. He loved it. Well I decided to find a small beach cat to leave on the coast for him when we don't have a lot of time.

Found an old SC-15 in really good shape with all the hardware and equipement in very good condition. Any inputs as what we should look for as far as good and bad with this boat?

diegokid,

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com, be sure and report about your experiences with the SC15, not a cat we hear much about.

Are you from San Diego? or some other Diego? icon_wink Where do you sail your Corsair, which one do you have?

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
Retired USAF. Diegokid is a nickname one of my old commanders gave me because the KC-10s spent so much time on an island called Diego Garcia. My favorite deployment spot.

F-24MK1.

Didn't you make a post concerning a SC-17 in Hattiesburg lately? I tried to find that SC and failed.
Don't know much about the 15 either. But Supercat has an excellent reputation. As mentioned you can get any part from Aquarius, but have to pay new prices. Certain items like tramps can be a good bit more expensive than the Hobie/prindle stuff. Here is a 15 for sale down by me

http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/3900406153.html
Funny thing, that's the one I bought.
Another vote here for the integrity and design of Supercats. I've had several 20s, and loved them dearly. As mentioned, not as many used parts available, but Tom @ Aquarius will help you keep it running.

Dave
I have a SC 15 and have loved every minute.
Easy to sail solo - no daggerboards to get in my way in my shallow bay
Easy to right
Never pitchpoled it
Aquarius is great with parts and service
Try and stay as far forward as possible while sailing solo
best
Windwardde

--
Supercat 15
Windrider 17
Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
--
When you single handed were you using the main and jib or just the main?
Diegokid,

Did you see the PMs I sent you about the SC?

--
Tim
Collierville (Memphis), TN
Supercat 15--sold :(
Hobie monocat--given
Vanguard 15--traded for...
Nacra 4.5--sold
Nacra 5.7
Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
Supercat 17–sold
--
Diegokid,
I have single handed with jib all the cats I have sailed, including significant time on a SC20. The big concern is weather conditions and availability of assistance. My fear with solo is changing conditions or the random unexpected problem. The job isn't that much extra work unless you constantly are tacking. A little more trimming required but a reasonably trimmed jib is likely way better then no jib.

--
Scott,
‘92 H18 w/SX wings
‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
--
Diego Garcia. A little horseshoe in the middle of no where. Spent a few days there doing some work on the submersible ship Big Red (American Cormorant) that was pre-positioned there several years back. There seemed to be more relaxing going on there than anything else. I can see why that was your favorite deployment. I can recall landing at the base there and seeing both sides of the island at touchdown. I think you could walk every inch of that island in a day! Spent a few hours working and then waited for several days to get a spot out on a C130 if I recall. Froze my arss off in the sling seats from there into Singapore.

--
Craig
Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
Nacra 5.2 Restored and heavily modified
Nacra 5.2 (one under restoration)
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.8NA
SoCal
--
Congrats on the SC. The attached link is the owner specific forum. Most of us SC owners are on Beachcats also.
Check the seal on the mast hardware. I've had to re bed all the fittings. The mast likes to fill in a capsize situation.
The halyard rig has been updated to an Aussie ring and hook.
It's crowded at the one hole mast hound with a trap rig. there's an upgrade for that also.
The rudder pins have been upgraded to plastic. So have the rudder bolts.
You are, no doubt, familiar with the hole in the water theory.
All in all a great cat. Real buoyant hulls. You can really bury the bows. Climbing back on from the water is a challenge.
The 15 I pulled from the weeds had lots of issues but nothing killer. Mast rotation, when stepping, is critical.Dead fore and aft. The safety pin is required. Have a spare and a pin punch and hammer to drive out a bent one.
If the boat is on a trailer with the side rollers the hull can get dimpled. Open cradles are the way to go.
Let us know how it goes. GH

http://owners.aquarius-sail.com/phpBB3/index.php?sid=c37d5b36a5c982b80c391533cbe8bbf0

Edited by gahamby on Aug 03, 2013 - 08:32 AM.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--