Shortening a mainsail

My old Nacra 5.2 main is a little too long to fit my Farrier Tramp with the bimini up. It looks like I need to cut 1ft off as measured with the downhaul cranked down. I was considering removing the head and squaring it off a little. I have seen a few discussion online about it, but most people don't need to make sails shorter so its not a popular topic.
I figure I can remove the head plate and fold the sail over sans bolt rope and restitch it. The top batten pocket will need to be relocated to a steeper angle.
I may reach out to a local sail shop for modifying it as I need to add a reef point or two also.
I have a Sailrite machine.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat & Farrier Tramp
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
rch701
I may reach out to a local sail shop for modifying it as I need to add a reef point or two also.
I have a Sailrite machine.

Best idea. The square top conversion could work but without a good design and execution you could just end up with a floppy tip, and nobody wants that.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
Cross posted result.
https://fct.groups.io/g/main/message/93159

--
--
You can easily (especially with your machine) modify the top. I cut a couple of feet off a Tornado main years ago as a cruising sail on my P19. It happens to fit FrankenKitty perfectly.

https://www.thebeachcats.…311&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
Scott, did you have to modify the luff curve in the top, when modifying the Tornado main?

--
Brgds
Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
--
revintageScott, did you have to modify the luff curve in the top, when modifying the Tornado main?

No, I literally took scissors, chopped the top, finished the edge and built a batten pocket. I've been using the main for 20 years and it's starting to get some funky hard spots. If I was going to try to seriously race with it, I would adjust the luff curve a little.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
Texastuma, I cut 8" off the main and it worked great at Juana's.
A buddy of mine is giving me a deal on a P18 mast with a set of Tornado sails. I also have a vintage Tornado mast laying around. I plan to cut the Tornado main down and add the P18 mast to the Tri because the mast is much more complete and substantial. I just need to make a king post and get some shrouds made for it.
work, work, work, sometimes play

--
--
rch701Texastuma, I cut 8" off the main and it worked great at Juana's.
A buddy of mine is giving me a deal on a P18 mast with a set of Tornado sails. I also have a vintage Tornado mast laying around. I plan to cut the Tornado main down and add the P18 mast to the Tri because the mast is much more complete and substantial. I just need to make a king post and get some shrouds made for it.

Why not just add the "Ter-nay-der" mast and sail to the Prindle 18?

We took a Prindle 18 rig and put it on a Prindle 16.... wheeeeewwwwww weeeeee... and the pitch poles were awesome..

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
rch701Texastuma, I cut 8" off the main and it worked great at Juana's.

That is pretty much what I have now... the cut down Nader main on the modified 18-2 (using a 18 mast). The luff is getting old enough that it's a pain to raise. But it beats beating up the carbon main.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
QuoteWhy not just add the "Ter-nay-der" mast and sail to the Prindle 18?

This is going on a Farrier Tramp Trimaran.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/trampeagle/
Every rigger I talk to says the loading is much higher even with the same sail area. The Tornado mast is 2ft bigger, but way more flimsy. My current fixed pole is 29ft (sole stepped) weighing in at 68lbs with massive 3/16" shrouds. I plan to add a king post to make the mast deck stepped and running standard 5/32" rigging.
Just have to keep in mind "reef early". If I crush the Prindle mast I will default back to stock and have a good story...assuming no one gets hurt.

--
--