Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rebonding the front deck on a Tornado  Bottom

• Hi I'm new to this forum so Hi to all.
    I have recently aquired a tornado cat in need of TLC the forward deck on one hull has become detached and am looking for a suitable adhesive to rebond it.I have seen a polyurethane one part adhesive called Sikaflex 292 which is used in boat construction has anybody used it ? or should I stick with a 2 part epoxy ?
    Thanks in anticipation Gordon
  • It depends mostly on the boat being wood or fiber. fiber is just epoxy and some new mats in there.
    Wood, hm, I have no experience there, but i know that epoxy and wood work very good together.

Edited by dichtbijzee on Jan 17, 2011 - 05:49 AM.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • Thanks for the reply the hulls and decks are fibreglass construction and the Sikaflex is advertised as a bedding and construction adhesive I think it is used in original construction and for bedding of equipment on boats in general just wondered if anyone had any experience with it.
  • Epoxy, whether wood or 'glass.

Sikaflex isn't made for that type of adhesion - it's more of a sealant. You bed equipment in it, but it's not what is actually holding what is being bedded.

Epoxy. It's what's for dinner.
  • Thats the Sikaflex-291 I believe the product I have (now) used Sikaflex-292 is designed as a structural bonding as opposed to sealing I HOPE !
    If not its back to epoxy
  • Epoxy.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • West epozy and then a piece of 2 inch glass bonded to deck then folded down to hull. Pete

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.