Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sail numbers and serial numbers  Bottom

• Is there a relation between sail numbers and hull serial numbers? I am curious about Prindle in particular. I saw a topic that talked about Hobie but it never really stated if the two were related. I would think that the sail number would be the last four of the hull number, but that might be just my car background showing.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • Typically the last 2 digits of the hull number is the year it was made. Beyond that I am not sure how the hull numbers are determined. The sail numbers from the factory are typically in sequential order of when the sail for that model of boat was produced. So I do not believe there is a way to connect the two, but my experience with with Hobie's and Supercats, not Prindles.

Also note a lot of older boats the sails have been swapped on, for example I have 3 sets of H18 sails, and honestly not sure which set was the original if any of them are.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • It doesn't really answer the question about sails but I found this in one of the archive issues of "On The Wire"

Decyphering Hull Serial Numbers
    By Matt Miller

The Current numbers can be found on the transoms of each hull. They moved to the transoms after 1973. The oldest boats ('73 and older) will find a four digit number stamped in the pylon posts. This is located on the outboard of each forward pylon post. For newer boats, during a period of time, they were located parallel to the rudder pins. They are now on the upper and outboard corner of each transom just below the hull lip.

The format is as follows: CCMX0000X000

CCM = Coast Cat Manufacture (Corporate Name)

X = Model letter (typical... 18s are C, 16s vary, Wave X, H20 P etc)

0000 = serial number

X = Letter / Month of Mfg. (A is January, B is February etc. I is not used I don't think)

000 = year of mfg and year model (797 is '97 mfg. 97 model / 697 would be a boat built in year '96 but is a 97 model. Model year starts in July

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • Thanks for the info. I was hoping there was some way to link the two as it might answer a question I had about my boat. The picture on my avatar is a Prindle fleet photo that was taken around a year after my boat was sold on a beach about twenty minutes north of the dealer that sold it. The third boat from the left is a ringer for my boat, white hulls with blue decks. The sails are slightly different, but the sail # 4660 is visible in the photo. I was hoping to connect that sail # with my hull #. Not that it matters, but it would be neat to know that really is my boat with all it's little Prindle relatives.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • Nice to see that my Hobie is a 94. Nobody knew nuthin'.

I believe my sails are numbered in the 180,000 range. I wonder what are the 16's coming through with now?

--
    The Bone
    H16
    Mass / NH
    --
  • My 1981 H18 has a sail number of 6601 and a hull id number of 5920. Though I'm sure they are the original sails. Like my chicago neighbor said without saying, they made more sails than hulls.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Dosn't seem to be a real correlation, in most cases the boat manufacturer has the sails made by some one else and I doubt that much attention was paid to ensure that the sail number cooresponded to the hull #. My SolCat is hull# 734 or something close to that, and original sail # 999. As posted above, more sails than boats... but it would be cool to know that it is your boat pictured. icon_biggrin

--
    Jeremy Hales
    1974 SOLCAT 18
    Salem, OR
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.

Upcoming Beachcats Events

VIEW FULL CALENDAR

No upcoming events.