Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.2 from derelict to something better  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Well, she finally hit the water last week in Mission Bay, San Diego. After 2 1/2 - 3 months of work this '81 Nacra 5.2 went from a derelict beast to something a little bit better. While far too much time and money has gone into her for an old boat, it was a great project to learn some new skills and see what could come of them. Still waiting in the wings are a '77 Nacra 5.2 and a '88 Nacra 5.8NA.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=103516&g2_serialNumber=8

Work included:
    Removed all old gel coat and applied new.
    Made new crossbeams and widened to 8' 6".
    Moved tramp Keder bars from decks to inside hulls.
    Bow foil to allow for larger self tacking jib.
    Furling jib.
    New sails.
    Dotan rudders.
    All new rigging.
    Designed and built removable wing seats.

While I'm not yet sold on the self tacker, she did drive hard when we did get some wind, and it was a breeze to single hand. And I've got to give a shout out to Dotan, what a nice rudder setup they have, especially when moving from that old Nacra setup. I highly recommend them, but they are not a drop in. There is some tube bending and such to get them fitted, at least to the 5.2.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.2 Restored and heavily modified
    Nacra 5.2 (one under restoration)
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • Nice looking! I've got a couple questions,
    What are the tramp Keder bars?
    Are those the laminate sails from SLO? If so what do you think?

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • Cesar,

The Keder bars are the channels that the tramp bolt ropes slide in. You can get new ones from www.kedersolutions.com in WI. They are heavier duty and have a bit larger flange than the standard, but it sure made for a nice deck by getting them off. I just put in a 1/8" x 1" piece of flat bar inside the hulls as the backup for riveting. You can also bolt one to the forward crossbeam (4" 6061 tube 1/8" wall) after you put the the slight bow in the beam. I drilled and put rivet nuts in the crossbeam to make it easier to install and remove the keder rail. DON'T try to weld, as it will put a bend in the crossbeam that cannot be forced out.

SLO made the sails and modified tramps. They also designed the new jib after providing them with a bunch of measurements they needed. I gave them the new dimensions also for the tramps and they hit them dead nuts on. So far I am happy with the SLO sails, but I'm no performance sailing expert. I considered the shop in Huntington Beach, but they were about 75% more for the same setup, so with 3 boats in the works there really wasn't an option. Also, Karl and Andrew were top notch to work with.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • Who made the sails?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Rob,

SLO Sail and Canvas http://www.slosailandcanvas.com using Dimension-Polynet color injection. It is about 10% more than the standard Mylar and come in green, tangerine, and purple. I've got the tangerine for the next 5.2 that will have bright canary yellow hulls. The tangerine doesn't have has much color variation as the green, but when it is up and the sun hits it it is pretty cool and does have variations.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=103525&g2_serialNumber=3

Note that if you get a few sails built at the same time (friends), you can ask for a discount, which will make the cost about the same as the regular Mylar.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • nacraflyerSLO made the sails

Craig,

What did they call the sail material? I've seen a few sets of sails with that stained cloth. I thought it was produced by Dimension but don't see anything about it on their site.

Caution Music!
    http://www.dimension-polyant.com/en/index.php

Or on the Slo site.

I'm told the color is introduced into the glue between the yarn and the mylar during cloth construction, but haven't found anything online about it.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon,

I believe that it is called Infusion, and I couldn't find it on their site either. SLO Sail and Canvas sent me a brochure, but you could also contact Ken Madsen who is the rep (kenneth.madsen@dimension-polyant.com) and have him send a brochure. If I can find the PDF copy I'll try and post it.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • wow dude great looking boat!

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • Nacraflyer,
    Strong work on that 5.2!
    Which rudder blade did you use?

When you bent the tubes for the Dotan rudders, did you consider altering them toward each other to create Ackerman geometry?
    It would be hard to figure out the turning radius to get the angle right, but with all the effort you put into this project I wondered if you thought about it.
    The Dart 18 has this.

Edited by klozhald on Aug 01, 2013 - 12:01 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Bob,

Rudder 25 Blade 1

That's an interesting idea. I didn't think about it at the time. I had the boat committed to being in San Diego for some Venture Scouts and got to the rudders about 7:30 the night before needing to head down. We found that we needed to change the grudeon mounts from the channel type to the single ledge. Fortunately the 5.8 in waiting had them so I was able to rob and get things working. Then came the realization that we needed a way to bend the tubes and make an adjustable crossbar. Fortunately the crossbar setup came to me the day before so I was able to order up what I needed and Will Call from McMaster Car and Industrial Metal Supply. Used tube saddles from Aircraft Spruce and 3/8" aluminum ball rod end joints that allowed perfect adjustment of tow.

I bought a couple sets of rudders so I have another set of tiller tubes available. The tubes can be rotated in the rudder box so I could to some investigating of angle prior to drilling for the bolt.

I see you may be coming out for the Tri-Point race. I'm considering running my 5.7 in it just for some fun and experience, and my son may be interested in bringing the 5.2 up and trying his hand at it also.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • nacraflyerI see you may be coming out for the Tri-Point race. I'm considering running my 5.7 in it just for some fun and experience, and my son may be interested in bringing the 5.2 up and trying his hand at it also.

I am sailing the Tri-Point, and look forward to meeting you there if you decide to come. It is a fun race.
    The race committee has an 18 foot minimum for the race, due to some serious issues in the past on another brand's 16.
    But... The Channel is the Channel, and there is nothing to stop him from sailing the same day.

Let me know if you decide to race, we are getting together at a harbor resturaunt the night before the race. You are welcome to join us.

With you, it could be a dozen or more cats racing. Five are coming from AZ.

Edited by klozhald on Aug 01, 2013 - 06:36 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Ya, I spoke with John this afternoon and he informed me about the 18' limit. Anyway, I've never 'Raced' and am really looking forward to giving it a shot. From what John had to say it sounds like an event that I'll be coming back to year after year. I really wish that I had the 5.8 ready to sail, that way my son and a friend could have taken the 5.7.

I'll keep in touch and if we can get up there the day before I'd like to hook up. I'm sure, as in our hang gliding community, there is more to learn in the LZ most of the time than there is in the air.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • Quotedid you consider altering them toward each other to create Ackerman geometry?

I could take some hi res photos of the 5.7, with tape measures on both angles to give you dimensions. I can probably get it done on a 5.2 also. Our 5.0 has straight tubes.

Quote Used tube saddles from Aircraft Spruce and 3/8" aluminum ball rod end joints that allowed perfect adjustment of tow.

I looked at those once, & thought, why the Hell didn't other Cat builders think of that years ago?
    They're strong, they use them for aircraft aileron fittings, infinitely adjustable, & pretty much corrosion proof.
    That is a good looking restoration of a classic cat, I hope you have a bunch of phots & can build a album of the project.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Your 5.7 has bent tillers? I have a '84 and I'm almost sure that they are just straight. It also has the old attachment that will jam the rudders if it rotates too much. I'd be interested to see what they did on your 5.7 as I was planning on putting a set of the Dotan rudders on the 5.7 before the Tri-Ocean race. I'm also going to check the 5.8NA that I have in pieces. For some reason I have it in my mind that the tillers are bent on that setup.

I'll take some photos of the rudder setup and post. It was a real easy setup. 1" tube with 1/8" wall, 3/4" OD x 2" nylon spacer with 5/16" hole, and 3/8" rod end bearings. Tapped the 5/16" hole in the spacer for 3/8"-24, slid the spacer in the end of the tube and installed a rivet. Then screwed the rod ends into the spacer and secured with a jam nut. Saddles on the tillers and a 3/8" bolt up through everything and the new crossbar on top.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • QuoteYour 5.7 has bent tillers?

Yes. I don't have any photos that show it well, or have measurements, but it must be at least 4" when measured at the tie bar end. I'm headed up to the Lake house for a few days, I'll post a photo of the tillers, from above, with 2 tape measures to show where the bend occurs, & how much they used. I think it would be fairly easy to replicate using a tube bender. You would just have to be careful to make both tillers the same, & of course you would need to shorten the tie bar, there probably is not enough adjustment,(assuming you have the adjustable tie bar) to compensate for both tube ends moving inwards.

QuoteIt also has the old attachment that will jam the rudders if it rotates too much.

The 5.0 & 5.7 are also like that. The really easy fix is to feed some wire through the saddle of the "U" shaped fitting, & wrap it around the tiller arm to prevent the "U" bracket from rotating. You only need it on one end.
    The 5.0 we used about 5 wraps of the thickest aviation SS lock wire we had. The 5.7 I just used a piece of galvanized wire of about coat hangar diameter. Been there 3 years now, totally solves the problem.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • my 5.7 tillers are straight, its an 89.

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • Could you post some pictures of your wing seats?
    I would like to know how you made them.

And BTW, beautiful boat!
  • I did check my 5.8NA rudder setup that I have and it does have the tillers bent inward. So I'll be able to compare against what Ed has on his 5.7.

Pic's of Wing Seats will come shortly. I plan to offer for sale shortly once I get the website up and place an AD on this site to make it all legit. Right now I have the crossbeam adapters designed for the older 4" OD crossbeams. And I have an offer from John up in Ventura to use his boat to prototype adapters for the 'D' crossbeams. Those will probably be much more difficult to machine. The current seats just plug into the adapters and are pinned, so they can be installed or removed in just a minute or two.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • wow, best looking 5.2 i've ever seen!

can't wait you do with tangerine dream
  • Sorry for the delay, it was a long week end up here in Canada. Between some guests, mucho Cerveza, & big winds, the photos got pushed down the list.
    We did manage 21.8 mph on the 5.7, & 20.8 mph on the 5.0. Winds were 50 clicks,(30 mph), so much of it was survival sailing, including one double trapped pitchpole of the 5.0.
    I didn't have a proper camera, had to use my cellphone. The lens makes the photo look like the rudder is not lined up with centreline of boat, but it is.
    The pics with the tape measure didn't turn out to well, this one was the best. The bend is gentle & begins just aft,(maybe an inch) of the stern, appeared to start just over the pin, & ends about an inch in front of the stern.
    You can ascertain the amount of bend from where the tube ends, almost over the inner beam strap.
    This is an '84 model.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=103610&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.