Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New to cat sailing - don't understand rudder  Bottom

• Greetings all,

I just bought a used nacra 5.0. It didn't have a tiller extension. The PO said he never wanted or used one. So I took it out for the first time this weekend in the bay with 10 knot winds. Remember I'm totally new to this and don't really know what I'm doing... The constant problem I had was that the rudder was very hard to handle. It pulled against me (of course as the boat was trying to point into the wind). My question is.. Is this normal or am I not sailing the boat correctly? Also, will an extension help this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • You'll need that extension. Weather helm is a result of the rudders not being down all the way. Also too much pressure on the main and not enough on the jib. Mast rake is a issue. There's lots of nacra owners on this site.
    Search: "weather helm". good luck GH

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I would get a hiking stick that extends. This will allow you to move your weight around on the boat.

There is a great article on the site about windward and leeward helm.

Also, do a google search for Nacra 5.0 tuning. There is most likely a guide online that will provide suggestions on setup.

If you have too much tiller tug you can pitch the rudders under the hulls a bit more to reduce the force. You will lay a straight edge at the transom and then measure the distance to the forward most part of the blade. I don't know what the distance should be on the 5.0, but my 5.2 had a suggested of 35mm.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.2 Restored and heavily modified
    Nacra 5.2 (one under restoration)
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • Your rudders are not down, the hiking stick is needed but that is not your problem.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Read this article carefully & fully, it will answer all your questions

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ther-helm?Article15.html

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Until you get the mast rake, rudder rake, boat balance and all figured out you can make a tiller extension out of anything such as PVC pipe. You could probably even make an extendable one from a paint roller extension. You will need to do something for an extension / hiking stick. You won't be able to get the boat balanced properly if you're sitting all the way aft all the time. These are low cost options til you get it sorted. Then you'll probably want to get a real one.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I hesitate to ask you this, but as you are new to cat sailing, did you have the rudders down? I ask because I have seen a new sailor sailing his cat with the rudders up, snapped the rudder trying to turn. Rudders must be locked all the way down, vertical, rudders should also have a slight toe-in alignment, if the rudders are dialed in, you should feel no "pull" whatsoever.

R
  • you can make a good tiller extension out of bamboo

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • PM me, I have a hot stick ill sell you cheap. And I sail a 5.0 and may be able to help you with your boat.
  • careful NOT to use a fiberglass paint stick...
    it can splinter fibers into your hands ...
    QuoteYou could probably even make an extendable one from a paint roller extension.
  • Thanks to everyone for all the advice. As it turns out, every suggested issue listed was at play. I was sailing in Laguna Madre, in South Texas. That bay is 2 to 3 feet deep all the way across, it never gets deeper. So the rudders were constantly being kicked up and I would have to pull hard on that little rope that pulls the rudders down. I was battling getting the rudders down half the time until I just gave up on them. I'm not sure those rudders are rigged right, I need to look at that more closely too I think.

Secondly, I didn't have the jib up, because the wind was strong and I was trying to depower the boat a little. And last, as suggested, no hiking stick. So all three things were at play.

The next time I go out it'll be on Lake Travis (a local lake) and I'll try all of the things suggested above.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.