Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Intensity Sails - any good?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• yelkenli1Do the stock Hobie sails come with reef points? I don't see them in the pictures, and my sail set (early to mid 2000s old) does not have them. My sails from 30+ years ago did.

How many racers have reefing grommets on their sails, or is that not a widely adopted rule (bad for traveling racers)?

Factory Hobie sails haven't had reef points for decades. The rule I quoted is strictly for the special case of the WaterTribe races. http://watertribe.org/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkousAll sailing classes must have a safe and efficient reefing, furling, or recovery system for all sails.

All sails? So everyone with a jib has to have a roller reefer too?
    This is an expensive regatta.

Back in the day, the single reefing point on Prindles and Hobies was in the third panel. I only had to use it once on my 16, but it sure stretched my dacron sailcloth.

If I had to reef again, I don't think I would bother with a point in the second panel. Reefing a cat is a survival technique, not a performance decision.

One of the other sailors thought that the middle grommets needed to be tied tight and subsequently ripped them out of his sail in a big blow. He was on a H16, and because his jib was attached to the boom all across, he thought it necessary to tie it tight. Destroyed a very nice Tequila Sunrise main.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Getting back to the first comment, I use an intensity sail for my Laser. Intensity sails are actually highly regarded in the Laser world. The sails are well made and hold up very well, although not class legal. I don't have any experience with their Hobie sails but I would expect similar results.

If their Hobie sails are anything like their Laser sails, go for it! The price is great and the product is really sturdy. It may be a little heavier than the factory material, but that's not such a bad thing if its just a cruise around boat.

--
    AJ Sawyer
    Nacra 20
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • QuoteAll sails? So everyone with a jib has to have a roller reefer too? This is an expensive regatta.

This is not really a regatta, this is a multi stage race around florida

"The race circumnavigates Florida and covers roughly 1200 miles including a 40-mile portage connecting the St. Marys River to the Suwannee River."

- http://www.watertribe.com/

and it's not ony for "stock" boats - http://thebeachcats.com/f…ms/viewtopic/topic/14141

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.