Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.8 trampoline removal and replacement ??  Bottom

• I’m working on removing the trampoline on my 26yr old nacra 5.8. I’ve got the straps loose on the forward cross bar and when I loosened the bolt inside the crossbar the nut plate seems to slide down… I’m worried about loosening the bolt completely and having the nutplate inside the hull fall free. I’ll have no way to reassemble. What’s the correct way to do this? I’m talking about the bolt for the internal beam casting.

Is the nut plate captured so I’ll be able to reassemble once I separate the forward crossbar from the hull and attach the new trampoline?

--
    1987 Nacra 5.8
    1978 Isotope (sold)
    --
  • The plate is laid up in glass sheets. It shouldn't be loose.

You should try the other side. Or loosen both sides up and raise/rotate the beam forward, just enough to get it out on one side. You only need to rotate it a little to slide out the tramp.

If you continue to have problems you might need to add a port, which I would avoid at all costs if possible.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Yeah this is what I thought. So when the bolt wasn’t coming up as it loosened I got concerned. I was able to tighten it back up so the bolt is good I’m guessing the nut plate just broke free from the layup. I’ve moved over to the other side but that bolt doesn’t want to break free at all. (The strap bolts are in great shape and came loose nicely) I’ve got penetrating oil on it now but I doubt it’s worked its way into the threads. The bolt head and cast block have a bit of corrosion locking them together, I’m hoping it will come out without any fuss, but I’m worried this one may fight.

So if the other side won’t come out as it should, (I’m worried I won’t get it loose at all without breaking the bolt). Is the best bet to Dremel an opening into the slot for the trampoline bolt rope?

--
    1987 Nacra 5.8
    1978 Isotope (sold)
    --
  • The hold-down bolts are supposed to be loosened and maintained annually, but few of us do. I would not hesitate to drill into the bolt plate space and inject some epoxy. Every bolt can "budge", depending on the wrench or impact driver you put on it. It's worth using some penetrating oil to try to lubricate the threads. The help files area on this site have several threads on resetting the bolt chips. Worst case, you an drill out the bolts and tap new threads, then replace with a larger diameter bolt.

Edited by tominpa on Jun 16, 2024 - 08:11 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • spammer1The bolts on the straps are A ok, I actually loosen them a touch from time to time to keep things moving. The one inside the crossbar I never thought about(or realized I should be looking after it). I bought the boat when it was already nearly 30Yrs old so a lot of things that didn’t need immediate attention… I left well enough alone.

When you say drill into the nut bolt space, you mean from the side of the boat right below the cross bar? That’s something I think I could do (my boat is not at my house so I have limited tools and capabilities)

I plan to get after stuck bolt tomorrow after the penetrating oil has had some time. I’m really mostly concerned about the nut plate not being glassed in well enough and ending up in a scenario where I’ve damaged the current fastener, and also broken free the nut plate so I can’t retap, helicoil, or any non invasive repair. So just trying to pick up any best practices from folks with older boat and projects.

I think I would go from the top and maybe try to hit two corners diagonally opposed from the center. Drill into the crossbar support chip and inject epoxy to fill the void and prevent the internal chip from rotating when you loosen the bolt. Use a good anti-seize compound on the bolts before re-assembly. I'm sure the tech section has some articles on replacement of that bolt, but stuff is getting really hard to find on this site.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Well, that's just great news the penetrating oil worked. Most of the time the bolts will release with some patience. Icon, you need to log-in every visit. The new site software is an absolute disaster. Note when I quoted you, it came in as "spammer1", and that's why I quoted your post.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.

Upcoming Beachcats Events

VIEW FULL CALENDAR

No upcoming events.