Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Searching for a cat  Bottom

• Ok, I've been reading as much as I can over the past few days about cats. I was actually about to buy a Laser 2, but then got interested in cats. I'm 60 years old 195lbs athletic and have sailed my whole life, but mostly on a Laser. I enjoy a nice windy day. I have a waterfront home on a large lake (Montreal), but it is a 6' seawall (usually 1.5-2 feet of water in the summer). I usually sail alone, but was looking for something bigger than my Laser to take others out. I'll probably end up getting a lift to keep the boat in the water, but there is a small public park one house over with a natural sort of beach that I could probably use to launch using a buggy (there are proper launch ramps further away, but still within easy sailing distance). Unfortunately there are power lines, so I'd have to take down the mast every time (main reason I think I'd end up getting a lift).

I'm currently looking at a few boats and would be interested to hear opinions on which one seems best. Ordered by lowest asking price (there is a spread of about $2kUSD between them). I haven't actually seen any of them in-person yet. I listed the year for the ones I know.

1. Mystere 5.5. New tramp, furling jib, very good condition. inc. beach dolly
    2. Nacra 5.7. Hull needs some work (red ... I guess it has suffered some oxidation). Trailer inc.
    3. 2005 Nacra F17. Owner does not know about it and I don't think he is a sailor (he bought it at an auction to resell). Appears to be in good condition. Includes trailer & dolly. A long drive to see it (6 hours).
    4. 2003 Nacra 5.7. Excellent condition, custom cover. Includes trailer.
    5.Nacra F18. Good condition, includes main, jib, spinnaker. Not sure if it includes trailer or dolly.

I'm trying to keep below around $4kUSD. No rush to buy, but obviously would be fun to have it to use this season.
  • I've been sailing my F18 solo but it's a bit of a monster. I loved sailing it with my son as we got to hang out together, but he's off to work a thousand miles away now.
    The Nacra 5.7 doesn't have daggerboards, only skegs. It won't point as high, but if you're not racing anyone, you probably won't notice. Skeg boats are much more forgiving if you bump the bottom.
    I'm thinking about switching to a F17 myself, but I wouldn't normally take more than one other person out on it. I think the one you mentioned might be a few hours away from me. I'd have to sell my MK1 Nacra F18 first though.
  • Hello
    Good luck on you search. A Nacra F17 could be a good option. I am aware of the one you are talking about. It was an insurance write off with a broken carbon mast. Was originally listed with the broken mast, then showed up with a not broken mast, not sure if the original one was repaired or replaced. There is also one at Water Rats in Toronto listed on Kijiji if you decide that is what you want.
  • lewHello
    Good luck on you search. A Nacra F17 could be a good option. I am aware of the one you are talking about. It was an insurance write off with a broken carbon mast. Was originally listed with the broken mast, then showed up with a not broken mast, not sure if the original one was repaired or replaced. There is also one at Water Rats in Toronto listed on Kijiji if you decide that is what you want.

Interesting. I find that F17 interesting also, but the seller has not been very helpful which makes that one difficult because I'm so far. For example I asked about the sails, rudders, and daggerboards and he hasn't even provided any pictures of them except when stowed away in the box. How do you know it was an insurance write-off? It also seems that it was originally a US-sailed boat based on the stickers on it. Yup, I saw the one listed in Toronto also, but it lacked a trailer and was a little bit more expensive (pushing it outside of my target price).

Edited by ght on Jun 30, 2024 - 10:46 PM.
  • QuoteInteresting. I find that F17 interesting also, but the seller has not been very helpful which makes that one difficult because I'm so far. For example I asked about the sails, rudders, and daggerboards and he hasn't even provided any pictures of them except when stowed away in the box.

When I sell a boat, I have the mast up and the boat fully rigged when the potential buyer comes over. If there's no wind, I'll run the sails up. I'll offer to take the mast down and go over the rigging process step by step. Sellers use the phrase "ready to sail" but most buyers have different ideas about what they have to do to make the boat right for them. Remember the old adage, "The sum of the parts is greater than the whole" and that really applies to older sailboats given how stupidly expensive everything is. As far as the boats you are considering, I think the Nacra 5.0 or Nacra 570 would be best. Any boat with deep dagger boards takes the "beach" out of beach cat sailing especially when you're alone. The difference in pointing won't be noticed.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Quote5.0 or Nacra 570 would be best. Any boat with deep dagger boards takes the "beach" out of beach cat sailing especially when you're alone. The difference in pointing won't be noticed.

Sorry, I meant to say Nacra 5,7 not 5.0. As far as stepping the mast goes, do it enough times and you'll develop a system for it even if you're alone. It adds about 15 minutes to my set up time. Sure, mast up storage is great and get it if you can, but having to step mast every time has the advantage of allowing you to look at what's going on up there. Too many people leave their mast up for prolonged periods of time, even years and then one day, pop! The sail's in the water and you have the task of getting the main out of the mast, rolling it up, lay the mast lengthwise on the boat and get someone to tow you.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I'm enjoying reading all the replies ... thanks everyone. Will keep you posted with where I'm at icon_smile .
  • re-posting - logged in -

F18 and Nacra 17 are beasts. They bite. Equivalent to buying a true high performance car – enough power to get yourself hurt. (I sail a N17 with my teen son, and sometimes crew F18s.)

In addition, if the N17 seller doesnt' know whether they have all the parts... they probably don't, so stay away. Any boat on offer that is not clear whether it's complete, is not complete. lol.

Given your profile and interests I would go for the Nacra 5.7. It's a fast cat, but still a learn/play-around catamaran. Forgiving. Nacra is still around and parts can be bought - Nacra is Netherlands-based but there are active importers in Canada and USA.

Second choice would be Mystere 5.5. It's a bit more 'advanced' than the Nacra 5.7 but still in the "fast but not crazy" range. The problem is that I don't think Mysteres are built anymore, I don't think the manufacturer is still in business, so parts are between hard and impossible to get. The 'good' part of it is that they were built in the Montreal area and some local clubs are (as far as I know) still sailing some (but getting rid of them too). So maybe you can still get parts locally - cannibalizing from unused boats in local clubs, or local owners. Still, not a solid long term plan.

Those are assuming price and conditions for the Nacra and the Mystere are roughly equivalent. If not, get the good boat. Floating is always better than not.

Whatever you do, have a righting bag if you're sailing solo, overall know how to right the boat solo or with a rookie icon_smile - and you'll do more sailing if you don't have to fully rig up the mast every time.
  • Yup, that's what worries me about the Mystere is parts availability. Thanks for tip re. righting bag. I don't think I'll be going out solo in strong winds, but will look into getting the righting bag anyway.
    Ok, here is another one that is now on my shortlist. 1999 Nacra Inter F18. Owner says it is in overall good working condition, but that the furling and rudder could do with some love. It is priced only a couple hundred more than the Mystere 5.5, so price seems to be good. Also no trailer, but I've realized I should be able to convert my 18' SeaDoo boat trailer to accommodate a cat. My boat trailer sits empty all summer anyway because the boat is on a lift.
    Thoughts on this Nacra Inter 18 ... I guess it is similar to the F18 I listed, but a bit older and less expensive.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.

Upcoming Beachcats Events

VIEW FULL CALENDAR

No upcoming events.