Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Shortening a mainsail  Bottom

• My old Nacra 5.2 main is a little too long to fit my Farrier Tramp with the bimini up. It looks like I need to cut 1ft off as measured with the downhaul cranked down. I was considering removing the head and squaring it off a little. I have seen a few discussion online about it, but most people don't need to make sails shorter so its not a popular topic.
    I figure I can remove the head plate and fold the sail over sans bolt rope and restitch it. The top batten pocket will need to be relocated to a steeper angle.
    I may reach out to a local sail shop for modifying it as I need to add a reef point or two also.
    I have a Sailrite machine.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat & Farrier Tramp
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • rch701
    I may reach out to a local sail shop for modifying it as I need to add a reef point or two also.
    I have a Sailrite machine.

Best idea. The square top conversion could work but without a good design and execution you could just end up with a floppy tip, and nobody wants that.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Cross posted result.
    https://fct.groups.io/g/main/message/93159

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat & Farrier Tramp
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • You can easily (especially with your machine) modify the top. I cut a couple of feet off a Tornado main years ago as a cruising sail on my P19. It happens to fit FrankenKitty perfectly.

https://www.thebeachcats.…311&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Scott, did you have to modify the luff curve in the top, when modifying the Tornado main?

--
    Brgds
    Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
    Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
    --
  • revintageScott, did you have to modify the luff curve in the top, when modifying the Tornado main?

No, I literally took scissors, chopped the top, finished the edge and built a batten pocket. I've been using the main for 20 years and it's starting to get some funky hard spots. If I was going to try to seriously race with it, I would adjust the luff curve a little.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.