Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 wrecked in Beryl is this salvageable?  Bottom

• Hi all, new here, I have a H16 with a hull that got wrecked during Beryl. Is it possible for me to salvage an old H16 and do a hull replacement? I'm assuming Hobie doesn't sell any hulls right?

https://i.ibb.co/tzW6Ghb/PXL-20240719-143906765-RAW-01-COVER.jpg

Edited by nparisawan on Jul 19, 2024 - 11:44 AM.
  • That would be your best bet as there are a lot of 16 for sale..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Not ideal, but you should be able to use any age hull for a replacement. An older one will likely be in worse condition and significantly heavier. I believe Hobie still sells new hulls, but they're probably hard to get and will cost more than the boat will be worth when you're done. Best bet is to look for a good used matched set which will probably mean another whole boat. It all depends on how much time/expense/hassle you're willing to put up with and how nice of a boat you want to end up with.

Where are you located? We may be able to help you find some solution options.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteI have a H16 with a hull that got wrecked during Beryl

Super bummer, man. That is unfortunate.
  • rattlenhumNot ideal, but you should be able to use any age hull for a replacement. An older one will likely be in worse condition and significantly heavier. I believe Hobie still sells new hulls, but they're probably hard to get and will cost more than the boat will be worth when you're done. Best bet is to look for a good used matched set which will probably mean another whole boat. It all depends on how much time/expense/hassle you're willing to put up with and how nice of a boat you want to end up with.

Where are you located? We may be able to help you find some solution options.

I'm over in Houston. We've called around to a few dealers and apparently Hobie not making anymore 16s until 2025/2026. Good advice on looking around for an old one. I think I see a few on craigslist/facebook marketplace that might work in the mean time. Any advice on where else to look?
  • I'll check around over here. You might also want to check with the Texas City Dyke and AustinCats folks. Decent H16s come up in the Beachcats and Hobie Forum classifieds from time to time as well.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • You know, I was looking at those and thinking to myself. I don't need two hobie cats. It just dawned on me... I could see if they would be willing to sell just one.
  • Sail or no Sail?
  • Up here in the Northeast, there are old H16s everywhere (i.e. neglected out in fields, etc and our sailing club even has what appear to be some abandoned H16s). There are times you can literally stop by the house and offer to take it away as they will give it to you for free (I was offered one for free even without inquiring about it). Never jumped at this because I like daggerboard boats and the cost of a refit sails/tramps/rigging are expensive. While I'm coming to TX soon, obviously I don't know what's the case down there. If set on repairing, I'd set up some Craigslist searches throughout the area you're willing to travel to and keep my eyes open.
    James (present Corsair Dash 750 + Weta)
    ex - Corsair F24-1, Pulse, 2 Farrier F25Cs, H16, 2 H17s, H18, H18SX, Bimare F18HT
  • nparisawanHi all, new here, I have a H16 with a hull that got wrecked during Beryl. Is it possible for me to salvage an old H16 and do a hull replacement? I'm assuming Hobie doesn't sell any hulls right?

https://i.ibb.co/tzW6Ghb/PXL-20240719-143906765-RAW-01-COVER.jpgEdited by nparisawan on Jul 19, 2024 - 11:44 AM.

I see a ton of H16s for sale... Give me a shout and can discuss leads.. I don't own a 16 so there is no personal benefit.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.