Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Spinnaker/snuffer cover?  Bottom

• Hi, new to cats. I sail from home (boat is on a lift) and I'm wondering what people do with their spinnaker and snuffer bag when done? Do you remove them both from the boat or leave them? I typically sail a few times per week. If you leave either of them on, is it worth getting some kind of bag to protect the somewhat expensive snuffer bag? What do you use ... perhaps a mainsail cover??

--
    - 1974 Laser
    - 2007 Nacra F17
    --
  • Several of us sewed up our own covers out of sunbrella like fabric and use velcro to fasten around the snuffer bag. Some of us remove the spinnaker and others who sail often leave the spinnaker in the snuffer. I see that New England Catamarans sells a Nacra midpole suncover.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Thanks for the info, that's helpful. Unfortunately I don't have any sewing skills! Good to know that someone makes a cover, but I find it a bit expensive. Amazon has mainsail covers much for much less (under $35) and it looks to me like they might fit ... has anyone tried?

--
    - 1974 Laser
    - 2007 Nacra F17
    --
  • I remove the spinnaker itself each time and roll up the snuffer bag into itself for which I have a cover for.
    https://www.h2o-sensations.com/en/spinnaker-poles-accessories/2670-nacra-17-snuffer-bag-race-class-legal-suitable-f18--8215000725569.html.

Though I might need to invest into the full spinnaker snuffer cover so that I can leave it all attached when done as it takes at least an extra 15 min just to deal with rigging the spinnaker.

However, if you leave it on the lift, I would worry about it getting the spinnaker wet. Mine is sleeping on the beach :)

--
    1980 Prindle 18 (sold)
    1984 Hobie 14Turbo (sold)
    2013 Nacra F16
    2018 Topaz Uno RaceX
    --
  • My lift it puts the snuffer well clear of the water (I'd say normally at least 3') and the prevailing winds mean we normally do not see much in the way of waves. I can also normally put the spinnaker up to dry for a while on the lift before tucking it away in the snuffer (again, prevailing wind is offshore and we are in a fairly sheltered little bay, so the spinnaker is not flapping wildly).https://photos.app.goo.gl/gCu4HSVzr8H6eNz16

--
    - 1974 Laser
    - 2007 Nacra F17
    --
  • ghtMy lift it puts the snuffer well clear of the water (I'd say normally at least 3') and the prevailing winds mean we normally do not see much in the way of waves. I can also normally put the spinnaker up to dry for a while on the lift before tucking it away in the snuffer (again, prevailing wind is offshore and we are in a fairly sheltered little bay, so the spinnaker is not flapping wildly).https://photos.app.goo.gl/gCu4HSVzr8H6eNz16 Slope Unblocked

It's very good
  • So thought I'd post back ... I did end up buying the $30 mainsail cover from Amazon. It fits surprisingly well, with the wider part that was designed to attach to the mast being used at the snuffer ring end. It doesn't take long to install it either (mostly velcro attachments).

--
    - 1974 Laser
    - 2007 Nacra F17
    --
  • ghtSo thought I'd post back ...

Thanks for coming back with the update! Sure to help someone else with the same issue.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.