Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Adjusting Weather Helm  Bottom

• I'm trying to dial in the right amount of weather helm on my Topaz 16. I have way to much on port tack, and not enough on starboard tack. Was wondering whether the windward or leeward rudder has greater influence on helm. I can move each rudder aft or forward. I don't have any port-starboard adjustment, and I don't see a way to adjust around a 'z axis' either. Also, my position on the boat is constant in both scenarios. Any insights would be helpful.
  • The leeward rudder is usually buried deeper and thus has more influence on helm. Try sailing with one rudder on each tack to determine if they are raked differently. If you cannot correct this problem with rudder rake it could be the hulls are misaligned but unlikely.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Alignment is inconsequential if you sail with one rudder up. If you determine you still have too much weather helm on the port tack, lessen the rudder rake on your starboard rudder. If the rudder is already raked as forward as it will go, you may have to lessen your mast rake and then work on the rudder rake again. Under no circumstances should the mast be forward of plumb. I once had a boat that had the same problem and I couldn’t fix it doing what I just described. I later discovered that one of the hulls was toed out a half inch from center line. It’s very unlikely that’s your problem, but if it is, good luck!

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • With what Bill said, don't base rudder alignment on the assumption the hulls are parallel.

Typically the leeward rudder will have a greater effect. Is the helm still there when you fly a hull and the windward rudder comes out? I would measure the alignment of each side. One could be too far forward and the other too far aft. If so, split the difference on the two and see how that does. Make sure you mark your mainsheet and have it sheeted in the same on each tack. You could be subconsciously oversheeting one and undersheeting the other side. While you are measuring, (and this may scare you) measure the squareness of the hulls and make sure the rig is vertical. Don't trust that the shrouds are the same length or that the chainplates are in the same location. I have seen $300k boats with the chainplates not even. It's very common.

Sometimes the fairing of the rudders have an effect as well. Your weight placement will effect the balance and helm feel also.

But, I'd measure the rudders for squareness and also check the gudgeons. One could be 1/8" off...

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.